XI | Weathering the Storm

The filming took the rest of the day, and when it finally ended, Isabelle had at least ten days worth of rest.

After returning back to the city, she realized that there was a large amount of swallow's nest left over, hence she gave some to Camila before taking the rest back to York Garden.

For the ten days that she didn't have any scenes, Alexander didn't have any either. When she looked up entertainment news, she would find news of him in the city, but never once did he come back to York Garden.

On the afternoon of the fourth day of Isabelle's break, she could feel a slight discomfort in her stomach, a pain similar to period cramps.

Isabelle had mild discomfort in her stomach, but later that afternoon, it was fine.

After having dinner, Madam Mary asked, "Mrs. Smith, is Mr. Smith working overseas? Why hasn't he been back?"

The question left Isabelle startled, and after a while, she murmured an inaudible "Yea", then continued to eat her meal.

After dinner, Madam Mary specifically heated up a bottle of swallow's nest that Mrs Williams had given her. Isabelle finished eating it and curled up on the sofa to watch television. Just then, she could feel discomfort in her stomach, she took a blanket to cover herself, afraid that she would get a cold. Gradually, she fell asleep.

~*~

These few days, Alexander had been back to York Garden, but he didn't leave his car.

He had a dinner meeting earlier today, but when it ended, it was still early. The host had invited everyone to another location for some games, but Alexander refused, feeling uneasy the entire time.

After his assistant drove the car up from the underground car park, he came out to open the door, but Alexander didn't enter. He stood for a while longer, then said, "Pass me the keys, you can leave first."

He waited for his assistant to leave with the cab before entering the car, his heart beating rapidly. He tried to calm himself, but he couldn't stop a rush of anxiety from drowning him. He wind down the window, waiting for his breathing to calm, but the heaviness in his heart was still lingering. He started the car and slammed into the accelerator.

After about ten minutes, he still felt the same heaviness in his heart, hence, he took out his phone and called York Garden.

Madam Mary saw his number and picked up instantly, greeting him. "Mr. Smith."

Alexander replied with a faint "Yea" before asking impatiently, "How's she?"  

Madam Mary felt that the phone call was abrupt, so she paused for a bit, replying in confusion, "Mrs. Smith is fine, she's watching television upstairs."

Alexander's anxious heart finally calmed down. He took a deep sigh before replying with a faint "Oh.". He hung up after it.

Alexander had wanted to work overtime, but when he reached the crossroad, he seemed to feel uneasy, even though Madam Mary had assured him that Isabelle was fine. Hence, he turned back to York Garden.

When he reached the front yard, it was just 10.30 pm. Madam Mary was not asleep yet. When she heard his car enter, she came out to greet him.

After alighting from the car, he didn't bother with greetings, brushing past her while he pressed the lock button on the car keys. Without even removing his shoes, he ran up the stairs into the bedroom, slamming the door open.

Madam Mary stood at the foot of the stairs, looking at Alexander in confusion, standing in a daze.

Alexander was walking past the bathroom door when he saw Isabelle on the sofa. He froze, his gaze observing the entire bedroom.