LXII | The Man She Loved

"Where is he?"

Alexander's assistant acted as though she hadn't said anything. "He made me swear not to tell you anything."

Another tear formed instantly, but she continued to stare intently at him. "Where's Alexander? Where did he go?"

His assistant continued to ignore her. "Honestly, I've been with Mr. Smith for so many years and I have never disobeyed him before. I obediently followed his every command, but this time, I can't take it any longer. Even if he is to blame me afterwards, I still want to tell you some things."

Isabelle suppressed her tears, shouting, "I'm asking you where is Alexander? Alexander! Where is he?"

Isabelle shouted out those three sentences before stopping. Due to her loud voice, she garnered the attention of the passers-by, but since they were seated quite far from the others, no one could hear what she had been saying.

"I don't know! I wanted to ask you where did he go!" the mild mannered assistant snarled, his eyes turning red. Grabbing onto the beer on the table, he chucked another large mouthful, stopping only when half the cup was gone. Slouching onto the chair, he shut his eyes for a while. When he reopened them, he was visibly calmer. He first apologized to Isabelle, then said standing up, "I'll bring you somewhere first."

Isabelle nodded. She stood up and followed behind him.

The assistant led her to the top floor of "Lily Pavillion", the room at the very end. He swiped the card to open the door before signaling for Isabelle to enter.

She walked in with Alexander's assistant trailing behind her. He pointed to the balcony, signaling for her to go over there.

It was currently night time, and since there weren't any lights switched on, the balcony was in pitch darkness. Isabelle scanned the surroundings, but all she could see was the stars and the lights from the forbidden palace.

After about five seconds, the balcony suddenly lit up - colorful neon lights flickered continuously from all directions. From them, she could vaguely see a European style dining table and walked over to it. There was a heart-shaped design made from candles on it, and the inside was filled with Bellflowers that had already withered.

The candles had been burnt and were left with only half the stick.

The poles around the balcony were decorated with beautiful flowers that had also withered.

Where was this?

Isabelle looked around curiously. Just when she was about to ask what this place was, she caught sight of the lights in front of her.

All of a sudden, all that was left from the ever-glowing multicolored lights were the warm yellows that read, "Izzy, can I chase you?"

Startled, Isabelle noticed the other flashing multicolored lights on the wall had also stopped. With one glance, she noticed that the pink lights read, "Izzy, I've loved you for thirteen years". The blue lights read, "Izzy, will you be my girlfriend?" , and the largest backdrop was covered in one really long line of white lights, "I am only happy when I'm with you. Izzy, will you accept my love? If you don't, I'll still love you."

For a long time, Isabelle's eyes darted back and forth between all four lines of lights. Much later she said, "This..."

"This is what Mr. Smith had especially prepared for you that night of Valentine's day." The assistant didn't wait for Isabelle to finish asking. He then paused for a bit and added, "He planned to confess to you that night, here."

Isabelle remembered how Alexander had reminded her for days that they had a dinner date together on Valentine's day. At the time, they weren't official, but they did things only people in a relationship would do. In her heart, she had been secretly upset about that. Who would have known, he'd actually prepared all this so long ago.