XXII | Green with Envy

The drive took only fifteen minutes to reach the hospital James was staying in.

Mr. Williams and Mrs. Williams were probably busy, for they hadn't yet made it yet. Alexander and James's relationship was always very good. When Isabelle asked if he wanted to go upstairs to see him, Alexander thought about it for a moment and nodded. He parked the car in the hospital's underground parking lot, locked the car, and followed Isabelle in.

The nurse taking care of James was waiting for Isabelle in the first floor hall. When she saw her enter, she immediately took her upstairs. As they walked, she described how James woke up.

"Today, at around six o'clock, Mr. Williams moved. Ever since Mr. Williams moved last time, he would move a little every day, but tonight, he moved quite often. We didn't think much of it, but when I came back from the restroom just now, I noticed that Mr. Williams's eyes were actually wide open..."

Following the nurse's description, Isabelle and Alexander stepped into the hospital room. It was just as she had described, James lay in bed with an IV attached to his arm. His eyes were open, staring at the ceiling, as though he was thinking of something.

Even though there was no love or blood relation between them, to Isabelle, James was like her biological brother - a brother who had protected her ever since she was young. Especially after her parents had passed away, James really doted upon her. So when she saw James, who was unconscious for so long, open his eyes, a hint of excitement inexplicably came over her.

She rushed over to his bedside without a second thought and stared at James for a long time. After confirming her reflection in his eyes, she then called out, "James."

James stared at her with a lifeless expression, as though she was a stranger. His look was blank and unresponsive.

Isabelle was frightened by the emptiness in his gaze and continued to call out, "James?" Then she carefully and gently asked again, "James, you don't recognize who I am?"

When James heard Isabelle's last words, his eyes finally moved. He stared at her with a glossy eyes.

Isabelle held her breath, as she looked at James. She didn't dare say a word, her eyes filled with anticipation.

James looked at her for a long time, then forced his hand to touch hers. He wanted to hold it, but he didn't have the strength to do so. In the end, all he could do was stretch his lips into a slight smile. As if it required a lot of energy, he spit out two murmured words, "Hey... Izzy..."

Suddenly, Isabelle's tears fell and she tightly grasped James's hand. She was so emotional, she couldn't really speak. "James, you're finally awake. You don't know just how you scared me. James, I thought you'd never wake up again..."

Alexander, who had followed Isabelle into the hospital room, saw this scene and only felt an abundance of needles stabbing into his heart.

The hand Isabelle held James with shook for a long while, before she remembered Alexander. Then she raised her hand to wipe away her tears. With a red nose, she moved away and said to James, "James, Alexander is here too."

When Alexander heard Isabelle words, he abruptly spent a lot of energy to suppress the agony in his heart. He kept a poised expression, as he called out to James, "James."

James stared at Alexander's eyes with a hint of reliance, as though being comatose for so long had absolutely no effect on the only brotherly love he had in the world. He spent a lot of strength to make the single sound "Bro."

James, who just woke up, had used up his strength. Alexander was very silent, and so in the hospital room, only Isabelle chattered on. However, her words, were mostly for James.