Chapter 12

A lovely carriage-ride into the rolling hills, dotted with flowers and wisps of dew still hanging onto the leaves. The destination: a gorgeous picnic with many of my favourite foods, all like an explosion of excellent flavours on my tongue. Today was going to be a good day; I could just feel it.

"Now, we have the four carriages," my father organised, looking slightly ruffled with the arrival of so many families. "Clearly, we must sort out the groups. Any preferences?"

"Not particularly," Lord Darrows drawled, his voice screeching over us. I winced, also thinking that he didn't have to speak for all of us. My preferences were far away from my parents, the Winters and Pig. However, I didn't think it would be the best notion to actually voice that little inkling.

"I and my wife will reside in one of the carriages," Lord Winters offered, his voice brooking no argument.

"Myself and my lady will join you," Lord Shireley added, clearly thinking that the separation of the Taylors and the Winters was the safest path to walk. I agreed with him completely. The only member of that family that I cared to share any kind of companionship with was Ella, who was looking resplendent, though slightly shrunken, in a light yellow muslin dress- perfectly suiting the atmosphere of the outing.

"Perhaps," I spoke up quickly, before I was stuck with someone a little on my bad side. "Victoria, Ella, Daniel and I could share a carriage?"

"Would you not want to share a carriage with me, milady?" Pig asked, my refusal to his marriage proposal not stemming his enthusiasm in the slightest, drat him.

"Ah, how could I prevent others from sharing your most.... wonderful company?" I lied genteelly.

"Yes, Rosalia, you may, providing the others are inclined to this arrangement," Father said, saving me from the pig-man. I shot him a brilliant smile, which he shook his head exasperatedly at.

"Care to join a carriage with us?" I heard Mother asking the Darrows. Sebastian gave me a doleful eyed look, as his family nodded and assented to the plan. I responded with my loving, friendly smile. He replied with a not-so-friendly and loving look.

"That shall leave Lord Chalmers and my Sara for the final carriage," Lady Winters said in a strong, faintly gravelly tone. Her smile suggested satisfaction; what was the old lady planning? Lady Winters was an interesting woman, indecipherable to say the least. I had not the slightest idea if her thoughts ran along the same as the rest of her family (excluding Ella), as a lady well aware of her status and those below it, or on a different line.

"Excellent," Daniel beamed around the gathering. "Let us be off then. Canterbury Park it is!" The families then walked to their arranged carriages and the servants bustled around with the picnic baskets. The drivers stood ready and waiting. A little spark of excitement tingled inside of me; this was to be an excellent day, I felt.

Despite the location, which held less than pleasant memories for me, I felt that the presence of so many close friends would be enough to overwhelm that factor. And hopefully the other guests that would not be so welcome.

"These are rather cramped, aren't they?" Lord Winters declared irritably, as he hauled himself into a carriage. Namely, our carriage. The Taylors carriage was very handsome, never mind his hateful words, with a lovely royal blue design, of swirls and elegant patterns. The black set off the blue very well indeed, and the space was adequate enough and more for all our needs.

"Come, Rosalia," Ella beckoned me excitedly, roses in her cheeks. I smiled and proceeded to the carriage, her hand helping me in. Victoria and her brother were already inside. It was a little awkward, concerning Victoria, as we had not yet quite recovered from our little spat that had been created. I had only said her name because I had needs to fill this carriage.