Chapter 14

"It was despicable," was my punishment for even thinking of running from Edwin O'Boring. GrandMonster stood in front of me, quivering with rage. Her hair was pulled back in the strict black-grey bun as always but her eyes were almost popping out of her with the ferocity in which she held herself.

"I do beg my-"

"You will beg no such thing!" she retorted. "You deserve no forgiveness for the basest behaviour I have ever seen in my seventy years."

"I can only hope to strive for your amiability of before," I muttered contritely, hoping this might work. My hopes were but for, trash.

"I do not expect such an event to occur," GrandMonster spoke icily. "It is good indeed of the Lord of Lancaster to entertain such possibilities of marriage with such an ill-mannered girl such as you. Lucky that he still hangs onto the concept."

Lucky, indeed. I groaned. I had been in such a flurry when I had flown from GrandMonster and her ideal of my paramour. All these suitors and the expectations that were placed upon me were the same as any other, but I wished to be happy in life. Not content with the lot that had been heaped on me, but happiness at the active role I had played in my husband.

"Oh, he is good indeed," I agreed, the sarcasm perhaps a touch too thick.

"Yes, far better than the likes of you shall ever hope for," she sniffed at me. As her face turned away from me, I saw it brighten, a snatch of a smile caught before she turned completely from me.

"Oh, Lord Edwin," she greeted him politely, though satisfaction danced in her tone. "It is so good of you to come here."

If I hear how good Edwin O'Boring is one more time, I shall faint just to escape from GrandMonster's controlling grasp.

"Lord Edwin," I greeted him nicely. "I must apologise for my grievous fault in departing in such a impolite manner."

"You are forgiven, my lady," he smiled towards me, gently taking my hand to kiss it. He looked me in the eyes as he did so and I had to stop a cringe running through me.

"You are most gracious," I thanked him. His light brown hair was neatly arranged, swept out of his eyes and hidden mostly under a charming black top hat. I did feel guilty when I spoke such impolite things of him, where he did seem to be a rather nice man.

As well, he was not so boring. Shy, I think, and ill-suited to conversation.

"Well, shall we retire in?" GrandMonster prodded me sharply to the door. I complied, gritting my teeth as I resisted the urge to ease the pain on my back.

She had a grievously painful finger.

"Yes, let us," I said brightly, prompted by my grandmother. Entering the large dining area, I regretted staying in bed all day. GrandMonster had accosted me after Church: first declaring my sacrilegious persona then attacking the manner in which I had last acted with her favourite suitor of mine.

Then she had dragged me out to this outing, which was no concept of mine, and had told me that Edwin was here to lunch with me. I thought my day couldn't have got any worse.

"I shall retire to the back of this room," GrandMonster declared, stretching her legs to that area. GrandMonster had already instructed me to sit by the window. I had a feeling this was of airing my company and who I might be promised to. This relation of mine may have been old, but she certainly knew how to work the idle chat of others' to her advantage.

Such as to show off her granddaughter, lunching with a very reputable and respected lord.

"Come, let us sit by the window," I said, going through the motions. Gesturing at a lovely table, with a pretty bunch of flowers at the side, I walked towards it when Edwin amiably accepted the proposal.