14.

"They love her" Býleistr states watching the Jotun children faun all over Nina. Loki smiles remembering Edaywen's words to him but whilst Loki is happy about it, Býleistr is less so. Perhaps if she wasn't there as Loki's 'wife' then he might be more agreeable to his people liking her because now it means that they are more likely to take to Loki as their king if he has Nina at his side. Nina laughs crouching to accept the gift of Jotunheim native flowers from one of the blue children. They're adorable. She'd hug them if there wasn't a risk of frostbite, even for her. Loki hums in agreement with Býleistr before walking towards Nina as she stands. Loki touches the small of her back and she turns to him. Eyes meeting. He smiles.

"You like them" he teases whispering to her, she hums and raises an eyebrow. "They like you"

"They're children" she counters. "Doesn't matter what race or species they are.....children are children" he raises his eyebrow taking her hand in his, she glances down at them. "They're pure" she offers sniffing at the flowers in her hands. "They're not twisted or warped by the world around them yet, their parents haven't filled their heads with opinions or hate" Loki listens to her as he walks at her side. A Jotun child grabs Loki's hand and he turns to them, bright red eyes stare up at him.

"What is it?" Loki asks her, she shuffles her feet and then holds up a small green gem towards him. Loki raises an eyebrow at her.

"It's magic" she whispers conspiringly to him whilst looking around. Loki smiles subconsciously watching her face light up. He takes the stone and turns it around in his fingers then glances to her.

"You're right" he whispers back. "There is magic in this" he holds it back to her, she shakes her head.

"It's for you" she argues. "For luck"

"Why do I need luck?" Loki asks her.

"Býleistr" she answers. "I heard my mother talking" she admits. "With the other women....they see the way he looks at her" the girl looks to Nina who smiles watching the other children. Loki keeps his eyes on the girl. He knows children see things adults might miss. He knows not to dismiss them. "Everyone sees it" She adds. "My grandmother, she says...Envy and jealousy are incurable diseases" Loki raises an eyebrow at her. "And when people get sick....sometimes they die" Loki crouches next to her, she looks to him. "Bad people get punished by the gods, right?" she asks him.

"Are you scared?" Loki asks.

"Not for me" She whispers. "Or for you.....for her", she nods to Nina. "I've never met a Midgardian before, I didn't know they were so.....squishy"

"You think he's going to hurt her?" Loki asks her, she worries her hands. "It's okay....."

"Mairead" she whispers her name.

"It's okay, Mairead, I'm not going to be upset, or mad"

"Býleistr wouldn't hurt her, he actually does like her, a lot" Mairead admits. "But...I heard Gonseyt talking"

"Býleistr's mother?" Loki asks, she nods. "What did she say?"

"Nothing nice" She answers. "So you should hold onto her" Mairead offers. "I like you and her" Loki smiles. "Together....my mother remembers your mother" she adds. "They were friends"

"What?" Loki asks her, she nods.

"She named me after her"

"My mother was called Mairead?" Loki asks, she nods and looks up as Edaywen approaches.

"Getting into trouble, Mairead?" she asks amused.

"No, grandmother" Mairead whispers with a smile. "Just...giving the prospect a gift" she taps his hand.

"I will protect it" Loki assures her. "And one day I'll make sure it gets back to you"

"You should keep it" She counters. "For your children" she pushes at his hand, closing his fingers around the gem. Loki glances to her and then to Nina who watches them, her eyes soft. Edaywen motions to Mairead who runs to her and clutches to her skirt. Edaywen gives Loki a soft look and then walks away with her granddaughter. Loki walks towards Nina who smiles at him, he takes Nina's hand again, she settles against his side as they walk.

"What did she want?" Nina asks him, he hums and looks to the gem in his free hand.

"Just talking" he answers as he tucks it away in his pocket. "She's sweet"

"All of them are" She counters. "These are your people, Loki" she points out.

"Hardly" he argues, she tugs on his arm and pulls him to a stop.

"Loki" she scolds shooting him a disappointed look. "You may have been raised on Asgard but you were born on Jotunheim, and after what you learned about your father and mother..." he closes his eyes. "It was not because of them or these people that Odin stole you"

"No" he agrees. "No, it wasn't" he sighs a little and lifts her chin. "What do you suggest?"

"We have to go about this as if you really are after your rightful place" she whispers as she turns to stand in front of him. "No half measures, they'll see through it" He searches her eyes and then nods pulling her closer. "So we need to be making allies...." she then turns his face so he can watch Býleistr with the children, he's so clearly uncomfortable, and cringing openly. "Who do you think they're parents are going to like better?" she whispers to Loki who starts to smile. He looks down at her and nods.

"I can see it" he whispers, she frowns at him. "Just something Edaywen said to me..." he brushes her hair back from her face, his fingers drifting over her cold skin. "Would you like something to drink?" he asks her, she nods and smiles.

"Something warm" she teases, he chuckles and nods leaning down to kiss her before walking away, she smiles watching him go. She then makes her way to the fire behind her, where most of the other Jotun are gathered and talking. A few glance to her as she passes but they've grown used to her presence among them now, some more welcoming than others but still getting used to her.

.................

The Jotun children run around the fire laughing, they carefully avoid Loki who makes his way towards Nina sat watching them warmly. Loki sits at her side and holds out the small tankard in his hand to her, she takes it, eyes never straying from the children. Loki smiles at Nina's side, she chuckles and leans against him, trying to get warm as her powers try to wrap around her, Loki's arm does so too as he pulls her closer to him. She lifts her head to look up at his face. Edaywen sits across the fire watching them, a warm smile on her lips. And across the other side Býleistr watches, an older female Jotun at his side whispering to him, his mother, Laufey's former lover, her eyes watch Nina, dark, cruel, manipulative and determined.