●12●

Chapter 12:
>Bit of a problem<
______________________________________
When Darcy awoke, it was quiet and dark. She was lying on a couch. The curtains on the wall next to her masked a window.

The sky outside was jet black. No stars could be seen, only the moon which didn't let in a lot of light. The only source of light inside was a couple of flashlights that had been propped up around the room.

In a chair next to her lay Aris. His eyes were open and he stared at the ceiling. Darcy shuffled a little to get into a more comfortable position, gaining his attention.

He scrambled to sit up.

"Darcy?" he whispered.

"Hi."

"Are you okay? What the hell were you thinking?"

She just stared at him, an eyebrow raised.

"Darcy, you could've been killed!" he said, his voice now rising, gaining the attention of some of the others.

"You don't say."

The others, who were awake, now made their way over to them.

"Well, well, well, hermana," said Jorge, "I knew you were brave, but I didn't know you had a death wish."

Her eyes trailed from Jorge to Newt, who shifted uncomfortably at what Jorge said.

She looked back at Jorge. "Well, I'm fine now, so what's the problem?"

He pointed to her arm and said, "Last time I checked, being bitten by a crank is a bit of a problem."

Darcy snickered. "Bit of a problem. Get it? Because I was bitten...And it's a BIT of a problem."

No one laughed at her pun so she shut up. Then it dawned on her what he said.

"Wait, I was bitten?"

Jorge nodded somberly.

She looked down at her arm to see it wrapped up in some sort of cloth.

"But why doesn't it hurt?"

"The pain from crank bites come and go. But the pain isn't the problem. You know what being bitten by a crank means, right?"

Darcy shook her head.

A frown tugged at Jorge's lips.

"Kid, do you know about the Flare?"

The Flare. That sounded familiar. She racked her brains for where she might've heard it. She couldn't think of anything, so she shook her head.

"Darcy, remember the video from when we escaped the maze?"

She thought back to that day. After getting out of the maze, they came to some sort of control room where a video played. A woman had talked about the Flare. How the sun had scorched the earth, how millions had died, all that fun stuff.

"I kinda know some stuff about it. Not much though."

"I'm not gonna get into the whole story, but basically the Flare is a virus. It takes over the brain, turning a person into a crank. Cranks have no memory of who they are, don't know what they're doing. They even kill their friends. But, there are also people who are immune to it. We assume that's why W.I.C.K.E.D took all of you, because you're immune. I doubt you have anything to worry about."