●23●

Chapter 23:
>Just go with the guy who came back from the dead<
______________________________________
Newt ran after Thomas as the guards began pointing the guns.

"Stop, stop, stop, stop," he ordered.

"He killed Chuck," hissed Thomas.

Chuck. There was that name again.

"I know. I know, I remember. I was there, too, alright? And I also remember that he was stung and half out of his mind," a pause, "just calm down."

Thomas threw himself backwards off the new (or apparently, not-so-new) guy.

The kinda-new guy stood up, caressing his jaw. "Kinda had that coming. Anybody else? Fry? Newt?"

"Do you know this guy?" asked Jorge. Thankfully, Darcy wasn't alone in not recognising him.

"Yeah, he was an old friend," muttered Fry, who was staring at the guy with an amazed look on his face.

"How- how is this possible? I don't- we watched you die," stammered Newt.

"No, you left me to die. And if we hadn't found you when we did, you'd be dead right now."

"Wow, he's exposing you guys," said an amused Darcy and every head in the surrounding area turned to her. She shrugged. "Well, he did."

"Who are you?" asked Gally, staring at her with a confused expression.

"I'm the brains of this operation," she said, gesturing around her. "Most of the time," she added quickly.

She heard Thomas mutter 'oh my god' under his breath. After shooting him a glare, she turned back to face Gally.

"I'm Darcy."

Gally's face still showed confusion as he looked at her. He nodded once as if trying to convince himself she wasn't some sort of hallucination before turning his gaze back to Thomas.

"Why the hell are you here?"

"Minho. W.I.C.K.E.D has him here," answered Newt. "We're looking for a way in."

"I can help with that," responded Gally. "Follow me." Darcy was surprised at how helpful he was being since Thomas had just attacked him.

"I'm not going anywhere with you," disagreed Thomas, setting his jaw in that way he always did when he was certain he wasn't going to do something.

"Suit yourself. But I can get you through those walls."

"Dude, just go with the guy who came back from the dead," groaned Darcy, who was becoming increasingly annoyed that Thomas was denying help.

■■■

"After the maze, I got picked up by a group headed to the city. They realised I was immune, patched me up. They brought me here, to Lawrence. This troop has been at war with W.I.C.K.E.D ever since they took control of the city. But W.I.C.K.E.D can't hide behind those walls forever. Day's gonna come and they're gonna pay for what they've done," Gally explained as he walked them through the building. "Listen, uh, he doesn't get a lot of visitors, so let me do the talking, alright? Try not to stare."