Chapter 2: Don't Be Ridiculous

"She sounds like a keeper," my dad comments.

"She is. I'm going to ask her to marry me when the divorce is finalized," I admit. Surprise flashes through his eyes, but I saw it coming.

After I left Josie's house, I headed straight for my father's house, hardly a minute away from Josie's parents' house, who I planned on saying hi to tomorrow. My father had let me in with no questions asked. Just embraced me with a hug that squeezed me so hard that I could barely breathe.

I told him all about how I have been an officially certified defense attorney for a year, and that so far, I'd been pretty successful. I also told him all about Brooke.

I know he wanted me to fix things with Josie, but she is not my future.

"You are?" he asks, leaning forward on the couch, peering back at me next to him.

"Yeah. I already bought the engagement ring. It cost me a fortune more than Josie's, but I did it," I tell him. 

He gives me a reproachful look. My eyebrows furrow in confusion, lips rolling between my teeth. Did I say something wrong?

"Money ain't everything, kid. Don't forget that, okay?"

Of course, I know it isn't, I mean, I was raised on practically nothing, ya know? I don't know where he gets that from, but I go with it anyway.

"Of course, Dad, I know," I tell him in an understanding tone. 

We're silent for a few seconds, and I watch him worry his hands as he's deep in thought. 

"Wow. You're really serious about her aren't you?" he mutters more to himself.

I nod slowly, glad that he finally gets it.

"That's what I've been telling you, Dad. That yes, I am."

"Well then, I can't wait to meet her." He claps me on the back with support, and I actually can't believe my ears.

"I missed you, ya old fart," I tell him earnestly, gratitude filling my heart.

"I'm sure you did." He looks at the kitchen. "You hungry?"

"Hell yeah. I haven't even so much as looked at food since eight in the freaking morning," I grumble.

"My God, boy. Let's go fill you up, yeah? Clint's good?"

"Of course." He nods at my response, and we head outside to his Chevy pickup and get in. It would suck if I had to wait for him to magically figure out how to use the stove.

We arrive at Clint's a few minutes later. Clint's is one of three eat-out places in Oak Bend. The other two are a McDonald's and Soda Pop, a bar and grille.

I ignore all the stares I get as we walk through the restaurant to be seated. It's been a while since I've been in town. I would stare, too.

"Wow, nothing about the staring? Gonna let it get to your head?" my dad says incredulously after we sit down.

"I'd like to think I've grown up. I'd probably stare, too," I reason.

"Wow. Back in the day, you would not shut up about how it's because of your 'dashing good looks.' That's a direct quote there, hotshit," he continues, but I don't verbally respond and instead send him a hollow smile.

"Hey, Colt," our waitress, a gum-smacking redhead greets all bubbly. This girl I know instantly. "I heard you were back in town."

I can't help the smile that seeps onto my face when I see her. Her good mood has always been contagious.