chapter 22

Hi guys. I would like to formally apologize for taking forever to update, but with the 'rona going on, my work schedule has been tripled, and on top of that, I'm a full-time college student. Thanks for understanding! Without further adieu, here's chapter 22. 

--

Josie's POV

Johnny is adorable, and I'm determined on getting him and Jake together. He's amazing with the children, just like my Johnny and my Jake, just like any good boy, and nostalgia floods through me as I watch him trot around the house. 

What hasn't been very nostalgic is watching Colt and Brooke. I'll admit I was worried about how tonight was going to go down, but it's going better than I could ever have anticipated. Sure, it's been awkward, but nobody's started any shit, so I call that a win in my book. I haven't spoken directly to Brooke since my arrival, but I don't think either of us is too mad about it. 

Brooke is beautiful. She's kind and quiet, but not the good kind. It's like she's waiting for us to eat her or something. As the night goes on I notice that when she looks at Colt, it's full of nerves and anxiety, which I would understand because she's meeting his family for the very first time, but this isn't that. Normally when you're nervous or anxious, you look to your boyfriend, happy he's there with her to share some of the burden. She looks like he's going to leave her at any second, too. It's deeply rooted within her, and it's disturbing to watch her facade work so well on the others, especially with how Colt is so oblivious to it.

I guess I only see through it because I was her only a few months ago. 

I blink and refocus myself, shaking my head of my thoughts. 

I squeeze James's hand to get his attention. "I'm going to get a refill. Are you okay?"

He glances at his cup and nods. "I'm all good, thank you though."

I stand up from the couch and cross into the kitchen, dodging kids and balloons on my way. 

No one else is in the kitchen, and I let out a deep, relieving sigh.

I pour myself some cola and lean against the sink with one of my arms across my waist as I sip the drink. 

Sensing someone else, I look up to Brooke standing in the doorway. She looks like she's trying not to crumble in on herself. 

"Are you okay?" I ask, genuinely concerned. I set my drink down and cross the kitchen to her. As I approach her, she forces herself to stand up straighter and meet my eye. 

"Yeah," she answers, "I'm fine, thank you. I just wanted to talk to you, just us two."

My eyebrows raise in surprise, but also apprehension. Is this the part where she tells me to stay away from Colt, I think sardonically, because oh, my god, how cliche. 

Taking a few steps back from her, I settle against my original spot and grab my drink. "I hope your night is going well. Everyone is excited to meet you, and I've never seen Lizzie so enamored with someone so new," I start, keeping the conversation light.

She breathes and glances down before looking at me again. "I wanted to apologize."

So much for keeping the topic light. I resist the snort that's threatening to bubble out of me. "For what?"

"I know that you and Colt have a... rich history, and I'm totally fine with that." My eyebrows raise as I try to figure out where she's going with this. "I wanted to just say that had I known that you were still married to Colt when we started... when we started dating, I wouldn't have agreed. I wouldn't have done that to you. I understand if you don't like me, or don't want me here, but I had to let you know, and I had to apologize for what Colt and I did to you."