Chapter 6: Bone to Pick

Hey y'all. Do you guys like having longer chapters with longer update periods? Or do you want shorter chapters but quicker update periods? A couple people have pm'ed me asking to do shorter chapters but update quicker. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Also, 140! READS! YAY! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH AND PLEASE KEEP IT UP I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH!!!

Happy reading!

↔↔↔

I wasn't at the festival much longer after I found Wes, Bobby, and Tommy. I couldn't find it in me to be happy when I was literally a seventh wheel. They were all surrounded by who they loved, and who loved them back. Call me selfish, but I couldn't be around it any longer, so I left with a sorry excuse of being tired.

I got into the Escape and closed the door behind me, feeling empty yet restless. 

I don't know where it came from, but a sudden buildup of energy and anxiety has me feeling claustrophobic in the small car. I slammed my hand down on the wheel and sighed heavily.

"Dammit," I hiss. I run my hands through my hair. 

Seriously though. What did I really expect out of this? For us to be sunshine and rainbows and be friends to some degree? I think not. 

I take in a breath and flip on the radio, tuning it to a local radio station. Some new country song that I didn't know was playing, but it was enough to distract me.

 I drive home, to my dad's house, humming along to the song. I pass by the cemetery, and out of the corner of my eye, I can see the two gravestones with mini American flags next to them. 

I check my rear-view mirror, making sure no one's right behind me and slam on my brakes. I put the Escape in reverse and proceed to pull into the cemetery. I drive as close as I can to their graves and park. I rub my clammy, sweaty hands on my thighs before leaving the car. 

I keep my eyes on the graves the entire time, and I make sure not to step on anybody on my way there. The closer I get, the slower I realize I'm walking. My stomach kicks around, full of butterflies. 

The closest grave is Wes's father. 

Elijah Lynch

U.S. Army, 2nd Lieutenant

Purple Heart

Loving Father, Loyal Friend, Fierce Lover

I rifle through my wallet, getting out a quarter. I kiss it before setting it on top of his marker. 

I breathe out a ragged sigh, not ready for the next one. Oh God.

Jonathon Crawford

U.S. Army, 2nd Lieutenant

Purple Heart

Devoted Husband and Father, Loyal Friend

Oh God.

I can't.

I turn to walk away and take the first step, but there's a strong breeze pushing me in the other direction. Goosebumps pop out of my skin, and I feel a tingling sensation in my gut. I look up to the sky, at the billions of stars in the beautiful clear sky, and turn around.