Her

Sam

Years have passed since I last saw my best friends and so many things have happened. I finished elementary school and middle school and high school and college and decided to enter medicine. I've always really liked to help people and when we talked about the human body in highschool I fell in love. It is just so amazing how everything is perfectly connected and the science behind it all: the physics in cardiology, the chemistry in digestion, the math in well all of it, it still amazes me. This discovery made it easy for me to choose to study biology in college and then going for med school. At first it was tough but I was determined to continue and do my best. A few years ago I finally finished and pursued my dream of becoming a pediatric surgeon and wow it's amazing, it's very competitive but growing up I always loved a little competition.

Currently I am working at Saint Joseph's and am extremely thankful for the opportunity of working and researching here. I love all my little patients and never get tired of being here... well maybe a little but the love I receive from my patients is enough to make me maintain a high spirit.

I always thought I would end up alone, most guys are just scared of me and also I just didn't have time to search for "the one". However a few months ago I met a guy, his name is Rick he's super cute and tall and nice and wow just amazing. We've been together for 6 months and I think I'm falling in love. My life is perfect... well no... for a couple a weeks I've felt like someone is following me, I told Rick but he just brushes it off and says I'm exaggerating so I let it go, sort of...but other than that everything is going great.

I wash my hands as I finish doing the routine physical exam. "Everything looks great Mrs. Hernandez, Sofia's bilirubin is finally down and you should be able to take her home by tomorrow". Mrs. Hernandez walks up to me and gives me a huge hug

"Oh thank you Dr. Alegra, you took such good care of our baby, I was so scared when she started turning even more yellow. I didn't even know that color was posible! My husband and I are forever in your debt really"

"It's no problem Mrs. Hernandez, im glad everything turned out fine and that we were able to control the liver damage, Little Sofia is very strong. I'm here for anything you may need, for now I must be going I have another surgery in 10 minutes".

"Bye dear!!!" Mrs. Hernandez says as I walk out the door. Im so glad Sofía is fine, she really gave us a fright with the amount of bilirubin she had accumulated. I can't believe the pediatrician didn't notice at their checkups.

I see my guy best friend, Josh, talking to a nurse. He's a cardiothoracic surgeon here and extremely smart. But the best part about him is he knows all the gossip, it's amazing the amount of things that happen around here.

"Hey Sam!" Josh says when he finally finishes giving instructions to the nurse. "Hey you, whats up?" I say as I grab a pen to fill in Sofia's notes.
"I just got out of surgery I'm going to go eat something, wanna come?"

"Gosh id love to but I have a surgery in 10 minutes. It's going to be amazing. We finally got a new liver for Henry and we're going to do the transplant now"

"That's great Sam, I hope everything goes great I'll see you later, I'm starving. Bye Sam!"

I quickly walk towards the operating room and get ready for the amazing yet long surgery.

Some hours later

Walking out of the operating room, I have a huge smile on my face. Everything went great we just have to see how Henry's body accepts the new organ, but with his age and condition I'm guessing everything will go great.

Suddenly I hear my phone start to ring, it's from my sister Molly. "Hey Sam, how are you?" I hear my sisters voice with a ton of screams in the background as  I answer.

"Hey Mols just got out of surgery, everything's great how about you guys?"

"All good here sweets. Hey I was wondering if your going to be able to come next week?"

Next week I'm going to go visit my parents and older sister Molly they've been living in the suburbs while I live in the city. I'm so excited to see my nephew and niece!! Molly sends pictures everyday but I just can't wait to be with them.

"Of course Molly, I wouldn't miss Peter's birthday party"

"Great! I'll see you then Sam and please bring by Rick we want to meet him"

"Sure Mols I'll try to see if he can come"

"Okay well then bye sweets!"

"Bye Molly" I hang up my phone and laugh to myself. I can't believe she still calls me sweets all because of my extreme love for sugary treats. I mean come on who doesn't love some Cotton candy. I walk towards my office and prepare myself for spending the rest of my shift doing paperwork. Yay!! How fun.