forty three | stupid

As I walk closer to the sketchy shadows of the men in the alley, they turn to look at me.

It's terrifying. Their eyes, in the darkness, look like they are ready to do all kinds of bad things to anyone who comes close to them.

Was this a bad idea? Of course. Am I regretting it? ... Eh, I've survived worse.

But this time, I don't want to survive. Even if it means they tear my body apart with knives until I bleed to death. It's still a better nightmare than my reality.

I'm such a drama queen. Who gives a shit? It's one of my only chances to get out of this horrible cycle that I'm stuck in.

"Oh, you stupid little girl," one of the men sings. His skin is pale with smears of dirt— or blood— on some parts of him.

The two men beside him smile. I notice their rotting and discolored teeth and their hair, matted and hardened.

They are revolting to look at.

All three of them slowly walk towards me. "What are you doing all alone out here, babe?"

I step back, trying not to puke. They smell like rotten eggs and feet. DISGUSTING.

I gag and cover my nose and mouth with my hand. I turn to walk away, changing my mind. I can handle a lot, but this is too much.

The one guy wraps his arm round my neck, pulling me back into him. The two other guys pull out guns and I freeze before I can fight.

Let's not be stupid, Bree.

Or at least any more stupid than you already have been tonight.

"Please let me go. I won't run." My head is just so close to his underarm that I might pass out before I get shot.

Surprisingly, he listens and lets me go.

"Face the wall," thing one demands.

I sigh and turn to face the wall. I don't know if I'm strong enough to fight all three of them alone. I may be strong, but I'm not some unrealistic movie character that beats up three men at once.

Thing one shoves me up against the wall and presses his body against me. I shut my eyes, my face scrunching in disgust.

I hear the other two chuckle like psychopaths as they watch.

Instead of letting this man do what he wants, I decide to be stupid one more time tonight. I shove my elbow into his ribs and then spin around and kick him between his legs.

He bends over in pain and thing two lifts his gun up. My heart skips a beat and I quickly shut my eyes as he pulls the trigger.

I wait a few seconds, and then open my eyes because I don't feel any pain. I take in the situation, which has taken a drastic turn.

Thing two is bent over thing three's bleeding body. Thing one is nowhere to be seen.

"You made me shoot him! You made me shoot him!" thing two screams in shock, his eyes looking in the direction of Elijah.

Elijah?

"Elijah?" I whisper.

His eyes meet mine. "Are you okay?"

"What are you doing here? You need to go," I say and walk up to thing two, hitting his head against the floor several times until he goes unconscious.

"I just saved your life... Can I at least get a thank you?"

I walk up to him, dusting my hands off. Stopping a few inches away from him, I narrow my eyes. "You shouldn't put your life in danger for me."

He sighs and runs his hand through his hair. "What should I have done? You want me to watch as you get murdered?"

"Yes," I say.

"Bree... You know I can't do that. You know I love—"

"Don't say it." I look up at him, pleading with my eyes for him to stop.

"Why?"

"Because I don't deserve it. I don't deserve you. I deserve whatever those guys were going to do to me."

"Don't say that..."

"Look, we need to go before someone sees us here. There's a dead body," I state and then grab his hand and speed walk away from the area.

We walk back to the party together, and for some reason I don't let go of his hand.

I really don't know why. I know I should, but having his hand in mine makes me feel safe. It makes me feel better, like I'm not a murderer.

"You're so frustrating, you know that?" Elijah mumbles.

"I know..."

"Why do you have to be so complicated?"

"I don't know. Everyone is complicated. That's life. It seems simple, but it never is." But I guess not everyone is a killer, so...

He nods, staring down at the ground. "Yeah, I'm not complicated, just stupid and confused," Elijah admits.

"Stupid and confused? That could be the name of my autobiography." I smile and he laughs.

Even his laugh makes me feel better.

Damn it, what is going on?

I shake my head and frown. "Anyway, why are you stupid and confused?" I ask.

"Because I just want to get through university without all the complicated shit. I didn't mean to get feelings for you. I said I'll shut up about it, but it's so hard. I want to shut up, but I'm stupid and I can't. I don't even understand why I like you, I just feel all these strange things when I'm around you. It's stupid and confusing."

"Maybe because you like someone more when they don't like you. If I liked you back, you'd probably get bored. That's why most relationships don't work," I explain.

"Mm, no. I don't think that's accurate. I've had feelings for you since high school and—"

I stop him from talking and step closer, then lean up and press my lips against his. If this doesn't work than I'm screwed.

•<•>•

Hi!! My neck hurts I feel like an old lady. Anyway I LOVE YOU GUYS. Thanks for reading. Byeeee.

T w i t t e r : xPineappleGirlx
I n s t a g r a m : laylaawrites
Y o u t u b e : xThePineappleGirlx

Lots of love and jelly tots - xThePineappleGirlx