[Chapter 9]

•·•

•·•

THE ANCIENT CITY OF MEEREEN LAY BEFORE THEM. Also known as the 'mother of all slave cities' with three slaves for every free man making up its population.

Beyond its walls Maegon could see buildings, temples and the giant pyramids where the richest of the city's inhabitants lived.

Maegon had visited the city several times before, once to recieve orders from a wealthy merchant on where to find an enemy he wanted to kill and thrice to protect the city from other mercenary companies.

Back then he did not think much of who he was protecting, for they all showed such a handsome sum of gold that he could chose to look the other way for a while. But now after seeing what the Masters of Meereen were capable of doing when someone came marching towards their city, all he saw was red, the color of their blood once he finished doing to them what they did to 163 children.

Daenerys had been eerily silent since the march resumed, yet the Queen kept her word and looked at the face of every child before they were taken down and buried, only after their collar was removed.

She had given a brief explanation to them all on what she planned to do with them and while Maegon would stand beside her and support her, he would rather take the city by force, the rush and blood of the fight calling to him, the screams of dying soldiers ringing in his ears.

But he had to rein his urges in for now as they all dismounted their horses.

The walls of the city filled up quickly, with free men and slaves alike, watching as an army stood in formation outside their city. It was hard to see from a distance but if Maegon was correct in thinking the ruling slave masters were not complete fools, there would also be archers lining the walks, ready to shoot as soon the order was given.

His eyes, just like many other in his company went to the Great Gate of Meereen, which was flanked by to large statues of a golden harpy. The Gate opened just enough for a lone rider to slip out between the doors, to the amusement of the crowd watching from the city walls.

"Are they attacking?" Daenerys wondered, confused that only one man on a horse had ventured outside.

"They have sent out a champion, a single rider. A champion of your own is expected to step forward" Maegon explained to her.

The champion of Meereen galloped out on his horse a bit before halting and dismounting. He had begun shouting obscene insults in their direction, in a ghiscari tongue Maegon did not speak very well, but he knew enough of the customs and had fought in similar fights before to be able to decipher what the man was yelling at them.

"What is he doing?" Daenerys then asked when the man had started to fumble with his trousers.

In response to the man pulling out his cock and pissing in their direction Maegon rolled his eyes and Daenerys who was completely unamused raised her eyebrows.