Chapter Six

"Maybe because it was you who killed my brother."

     I tried to decipher what she meant. I could never even hurt a fly so what made her think I killed her brother? My face had gone pale already and she began to laugh.

     "Gosh Aisha you're so easy. I was just pulling your legs."

     "Well that wasn't funny Preeta." I hissed. She nudged my shoulder and pouted, making her look like a cute little kitten.

"Fine! Now get out of my face Preeta." I laughed. She went back to her bed and brought out a box of chocolates.

"Care for some?" she asked. I gave her a 'are you serious' look and she chuckled, then threw some to me.

I bit into the kitkat and moaned in delight. I loved chocolates more than life itself. What was life without chocolates? We had the whole day to ourselves before classes began the next day. I realized I didn't ask for her major so I did.

"I was just wondering Preeta, what's your major?" I asked.

"Magic and Shamanism." she replied and I gave her a bewildered look.

"You cannot be serious! Who studies magic and shamanism?" I threw my hands in the air for a dramatic effect.

"Well I do. My brother studies the same." she shrugged. Now I was really interested.

"What are y'all? Do you come from a family of witches and wizards?"

She smiled and shook her head. "I wouldn't exactly call us that. We're a different kind of family, not the regular ones."

"You're scaring me now Preeta." I chuckled nervously.

"We do a lot of magic, but not to harm people. My grandmother was a magician."

I nodded and slowly put another chocolate in my mouth. "That's..." I paused, "interesting."

"If you want, I can teach you a few spells." Preeta offered.

I shook my head and politely declined. "My religion doesn't permit any form of magic. It's a major sin, like, associating partners with God."

"Oh! That's great."

She got off of her bed and went into the bathroom. I heard the shower come on so I figured she was taking a bath. I needed to take one too before going to sleep. It was almost an hour and she still wasn't out of the bathroom.

"Preeta! Are you going to spend the whole day in there?" I groaned.

"Coming out now." The bathroom door opened and she came out with a towel wrapped around her body and another on her head. Little droplets of water still found their way out of her tied hair. Her skin looked a little lighter than before she went into the bathroom.

"Why are you suddenly whiter?" I laughed. She shrugged and went to her dresser. She took some kind of body lotion and applied it all over her body. I watched as her palms trailed in a particular pattern. I shook my head to prevent any evil thoughts from entering my head. She was probably not what I thought she was.

"I'll go have my bath now." I said. She barely looked at me and I scrunched my face in confusion. I went into the bathroom and came out fifteen minutes after. Preeta was sitting on her bed with a black book in her hand.

"What's that book?" I asked curiously. When I was going to peek into it, she closed it and shoved it under her legs.

"It's my diary." I nodded in understanding. Even I wouldn't want someone prying into my privacy.

I changed into my pajamas and climbed into my bed. "Good night." I said to Preeta.

"Sweet dreams." she replied.

***

I woke up drenched in sweat. What I saw wasn't anywhere close to being called sweet. Like the other time at home, I couldn't move. My throat itched as I tried to scream out for Preeta to shake me awake. I was in pain. My eyes were wide open as I looked around the room. Preeta got up from her bed and walked over to me. She was cradling a baby in her hands.

Preeta cooed to the baby as it cried. "Shh..."
I stared at her while trying to wake up from my paralysis. She turned to look at me with a sinister grin on her face.

"Here, make him stop crying." She dropped the baby on my chest and I thought I would pass out from the lack of oxygen. My chest tightened and I gasped for breath. The baby reached out to strangle me. It's tiny hands wrapped around my neck and pressed down hard on it. It didn't feel like a baby was doing that.

"Preeta!" I was finally able to scream. Preeta woke up from her sleep and yawned.

"What's wrong?" I stared at her in shock. She was sitting just beside my bed with a baby in her hands. How she got to her bed so fast, I couldn't explain. But then again, my eyes were opened the whole time so it couldn't be her. Whatever it was was messing with my head.

"Just a bad dream, I'm sorry." She looked at me weirdly before nodding. She turned the other way and went back to sleep. I checked the time on my phone and it read 3:33am. I muttered some incoherent words then got up to use the bathroom. The last thing I remembered before passing out was seeing a welcome message written in blood.

"Welcome to Egypt! And yes, we followed you here."