Chapter Ten

DEDICATED TO LeshmiRajan for always checking up on me ❤️❤️

***********

     "Happy Halloween Aisha."

     I've never been so scared of three regular words in my life. Was Aashiq going to eat me alive?

     "Preeta please, Aashiq, just let me go and I'll never tell anyone about this." I begged. My eyes were beginning to water and I was sure I'd be full on bawling my eyes out if they didn't let me go.

     "Now why should we do that Esha?" Aashiq smiled, ripping a thigh off the crow. I shut my eyes and hoped it was all a dream like other times. When I opened them, Aashiq was licking the blood off his fingers.

     "So? I asked a question." he said. Preeta's eyes were filled with rage and hatred. I looked away from her immediately. I didn't know who was scarier at the moment – Aashiq with a sickening sweet smile or Preeta that looked like she was going to murder me.

     "Aashiq, aaie, ise poora karen aur aage badhen! Let's get this done and over with!" Preeta growled, making fire come out of her mouth.

I closed my eyes in horror, waiting for whatever was going to happen to me. When nothing happened, I opened my eyes and found myself sitting in my bedroom at home.

"Ding dong, I know you can hear me, open up the door, I only want to play a little. Ding dong, you can't keep me waiting, it's already too late for you to try and run away.I see you through the window. Our eyes are locked together. I can sense your horror,
though I'd like to see it closer." The old recorder in my bedroom started to play.

"Ding dong, here I come to find you, hurry up and run, let's play a little game and have fun. Ding dong, where is it you've gone to, do you think you've won? Our game of hide and seek has just begun."

I slammed my palm on the old recorder that was playing, making the song stop abruptly. An eerie silence enveloped the bedroom, sending chills down my spine.

"I hear your footsteps thumping loudly through the hallways. I can hear your sharp breaths. You're not very good at hiding.
Just wait, you can't hide from me, I'm coming!
Just wait, you can't hide from me!"

I didn't think it was odd for the song to begin again because of all the things I've been seeing so I looked around the bedroom in fear.

"Knock knock, I am at your door now, I am coming in, no need for me to ask permission."

I tiptoed into my closet and closed the door, trying my hardest to control my breathing.

"Knock knock, I'm inside your room now, where is it you've hid, our game of hide and seek's about to end."

My breathing paused as I heard the next lines.

"I'm coming closer. Looking underneath your bed but you're not here, I wonder... Could you be inside the closet?"

I could feel a presence behind me in the closet, lightly running a wet and rough palm through my hair.

"Ding dong, I have found you. Ding dong, you were hiding here. Now you're it."

It's long nails trailed along the side of my neck.

"Ding dong, finally found you dear. Now you're it.
Ding dong, looks like I have won. Now you're it."

"Ding dong, pay the consequence."

"Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!" I let out a loud scream and suddenly, I was back at the halloween party.

"Are you okay?" Aashiq asked, looking worried. I moved away from him and shook my head.

"Stay away from me Aashiq." He frowned and moved three steps forward so that he was standing in front of me.

"Why would you want that?" he asked. I didn't know what I was thinking. My thoughts were jumbled.

"Look Aisha, I don't know what it is you're going through but maybe if you tell me, I can help." he said.

"No Aashiq. You want to kill me. You and Preeta." I was sobbing by this time.

"What are you talking about?" Aashiq asked, confusion etched on his face. If I didn't know better, I'd have thought he was innocent.

     "Please don't kill me. What have I done to you? Why do you keep tormenting me?"

     "Okay! You're creeping me out." Aashiq shook his head. Seriously? He was the one creeping me out. Heck I was a second away from losing my mind.

     "I won't tell anyone about you. Just let me be." I begged.

     "I really don't know what you're talking about." 

     Before he could say anything else, I took off running towards the hostel. I ran as fast as my feet could carry me. I didn't for once stop to see if he was coming behind me. I ran for my life. When I got to the reception, I stopped. I was out of breath and had to take a few deep inhales before I could speak.

"Help me." I panted.

The receptionist walked over with a glass of water and handed it to me. I gulped it in one go and held unto her. "Please help me."

"What's the matter? Who's after you?" she asked calmly.

"My roommate Preeta. She's going to kill me. I don't want to stay in that room any longer." I cried.

"Calm down sister. What room is that?" she asked as she patted my back.

"133b." I replied. She stood up and went to her computer, then looked up my room number.

"Did you say 133b?" I nodded.

"You do not have a roommate, Aisha."