Chapter Seventeen

We walked to the hostel's cafeteria with our hands intertwined. If you didn't know, you'd think we were best friends. From the short walk to the cafeteria, I learnt that Razia majored in Anatomy. We were both under the same faculty but different departments and she was a year ahead of me. That explained why I'd never seen her in my anatomy classes that I took as electives.

We found a spot and she ordered the food for us. We ate in silence but occasionally talked about random things. She was an only child just like me and was from Afghanistan. It was no surprise seeing as she had a very beautiful physique and an even more beautiful face. Masha Allah. Persian ladies were beautiful.

"So I told my parents how I didn't want to school in the US. It was difficult convincing them since I'm their only child. After much persuasion, my father agreed. And that's why I'm here. Why did you choose to study in Egypt?"

I racked my brain for an answer. I didn't exactly have a reason for choosing Egypt. I guess I just loved the idea of pyramids and mummies. Funny how I hadn't gotten the chance to see the pyramids and visit their museums.

     "I don't have a valid reason for choosing to study here. I just picked it." I answered.

     "Not bad. There's this program I'm attending tomorrow and I'm really hoping you agree to come with me."

     "What is it about?"

     "Who Deserves To Be Worshipped Alone. The MSSE organized it." Razia answered.

     "Uh, sorry. What's the MSSE again?"

     Razia playfully rolled her eyes before answering. "The Muslim Students Society of Egypt. They have the MSS in a few countries like Nigeria. Theirs is called MSSN."

     "Oh! I'd love to attend." I agreed. What would I possibly lose? Nothing! What would I gain? A lot!

     "That's great! Now that we're done with food, can we go back to our rooms? I have a test I need to study for."

     I nodded. "Sure we can." Then I stood up, with Razia standing up after me.

     "I'm sorry for disturbing your study time. You've spent a lot of time with me rather than studying. I'm sorry."

     Razia waved her hand dismissively. "It's nothing, really. And I don't mean to brag but I'm sure of getting a 70 without studying. The only reason I'm studying is because I need 95-100."

     "You must be really smart. I haven't written any tests yet, alhamdulillah. Lord knows if I write any tests, I'd get a huge F. I haven't been able to study because of the whole jinn thing."

     "You don't have to worry. We can study together and I'd put you through some things."

     "I'm so lucky to have you in my life right now. Just when I thought everything was over, God sent an angel to help me out."

     "I guess. Want to come study in my room? If you don't want to, you can just chill on the bed while I study." Razia said when we got to the door to her room.

     "Sure. I'll just grab a few books." She nodded and waited outside while I got a few books from my desk. My phone was laying somewhere on the desk and I picked it up alongside the charger. I hadn't used my phone in a long while.

     I locked my door and joined Razia in her room. The interior was exactly the same as mine since it was the same hostel. On her dresser sat different types of exotic perfumes. Oud, musk, perfume oils, sprays, everything!

     "Wow! That's a whole lot of perfume. I thought I had a lot." I said.

     Razia chuckled. "I love exotic smells. I mean, why smell bad when you can smell like a million dollars?"

     I agreed with her. I couldn't afford to smell like shit no matter the situation I found myself.  We spent the next two hours studying while I left my phone to charge. By the time we finished studying, my phone was a full hundred percent. I turned it on to see loads of messages from my parents and best friend, Azeezah. I had a few other messages from random people and relatives. I opened the messages from my mum before anyone else.

     Aisha, how are you?

     Aisha why aren't you answering your phone?

     Are you okay? You aren't replying to our messages.

     I really hope you're fine. Please call me when you get this.

     Those were just a few of the messages she had sent in the past week. I checked the other messages and replied them one after the other before settling to call my mum.

     She picked up after the first ring. "Aisha! Subhanallah! Where have you been habibty? I've been worried sick about you. Your father had to fly down from England because of you. Right now, he's in the middle of booking a flight to Egypt. Ya Allah! What happened to you?"

     I sighed. "Assalamu alaikum umma. Please tell baba that there's no need to come to Egypt. I'm fine. I was just going through some hard times and decided to take a break from my phone."

     "You could have told us you crazy girl! I thought something bad happened to you. What's wrong? What happened in the past week?"

     "You wouldn't believe me even if I told you." I muttered. I bet she didn't hear me.

     "What was that you said?"

     "It's not something I can discuss on the phone. Our exams are coming up soon. I'll be home in say two months. Then we can talk."

     "Please don't do this again. When you want to stay off your phone for longer than a day, please let us know. Azeezah has been visiting lately. She's been so worried about your well-being. Do call her and let her know you're fine."

     "I will mum, I will."

     "Talk to you later."

     "Salam." With that, I hung up the phone and dialed Azeezah's number.

     "You stupid bit- girl! Where the hell have you been? Ya salam. Your mum almost died of an heart attack because of you. Where on the fucking planet have you been? Don't tell me you eloped with a boy. Wait! Was it a boy that made you put off your phone for such a long time? Ya Allah! I thought you were smarter than this. Who's the boy?"

     "Are you done?" I asked in a bored tone.

     "Yes. Now explain why on earth you've been away."

     "Are you sure you want to know the exact reason?

     "Yes."

     "You can't tell my parents."

     "Of course I won't!"

     "Okay! I was ra- ra-" For reasons I didn't know, I began to stutter. Razia watched me from the side of her eyes.

     "What?" Azeezah asked.

     "Raped." I didn't wait for her to process what I just said. I hung up and turned off my phone. I knew my phone would be filled with messages whenever I put it back on.

     For now, I just wanted to sleep. Sleep and forget everything that had happened. And that was what I did.