Chapter Eleven

"You do not have a roommate, Aisha." My blood ran cold as her words hit me. If I didn't have a roommate, who then was I living with? Slowly, I crouched to the floor, placing a hand on my heaving chest. After minutes of trying to catch my breath, I stood up.

"I do have a roommate. On the day I resumed, we came down here together. I asked you for where the hostel's cafeteria was at."

She scrunched her face at me. "When you asked for directions to the hostel, you were alone."

I shook my head. I wasn't making things up. We could ask a few people from my department. They must have seen us together quite a few times.

"We can ask my course mates. They must have seen us together." I said.

"It's late. You should go to bed. First thing in the morning, I'll have security personnels look into the matter."

"How can I go to bed when my life is in danger? If I do not have a roommate, how then can you explain the things in my room and the person that comes to sleep there? Please come up with me, see for yourself." I pleaded with my eyes.

She sighed deeply and nodded. We took the elevator up to my room and I slid the key into the hole. The room was empty, except for my things.

"Look Aisha, there's nothing here. You stay alone."

"How many times do I have to tell you I do not stay alone? I think I'm losing my mind. No I'm not! I'm fine. These are definitely not illusions. They started since I was home. I was looking into the mirror one evening and my reflection smiled at me. I began to see strange things since that day. Woke up everyday from nightmares and sleep paralysis. I thought it'd stop if I resumed school. It only got worse, worse! I don't know what to do anymore. I want to go home. I just want to go home to my mother." I didn't realize I was sobbing until she gathered me into her arms.

"I'm so sorry. Come down with me." As we turned to leave, the lights flickered off and on and the shower in the bathroom began running.

"What's that?" she whispered. I hugged her in fear.

"These are the kind of things I go through. I don't know what I did. I don't want this anymore."

"We need to get out of here." she said, grabbing my hand.

The door shut behind us and writings began to appear on the wall.

NOT SO FAST, MURDERER!

"Okay this is getting very scary! Who did you kill?" The receptionist was shaking in fear by now.

"Do I look like I can hurt a fly?" I hissed.

YES, KILLER! YOU KILLED MY BROTHER!!!

"Preeta what is all this? I don't know what you're talking about." I said frustratedly.

     Black smoke began to form on the wall. When it attained its full form, Preeta sprouted out.

     "What do you want from me?" I asked in fear.

     "I want you dead! You killed my brother so you deserve to die." I was lost.

     She snarled and pushed me to the floor. With a tight grip, she held my throat.

     "Remember the day you took out the trash at your estate? You threw it carelessly and it landed on my baby brother, Ghoula! Ghoula was my favourite sibling. He was only a hundred and fifty years old but you went ahead to kill him! Murderer!"

Tears ran down my face freely. "I'm really sorry. I didn't know I killed your brother. I only took out the trash. Please don't kill me." I begged.

"You deserve to die Aisha!" she roared. Just as her fangs were about to dig into my flesh, a savior came. I didn't know if savior was the right word, but I'd never been more thankful to see Aashiq in my life.

"You can't kill her, Preeta." Preeta turned to glare at him.

"Why shouldn't I? She killed Ghoula!" Preeta screamed. Her screeching voice pierced through my ears, almost deafening me. The receptionist held her palms over her ears and closed her eyes. A strong wind blew the blinds off the railings and the lights in the room flickered on and off. The frames Preeta and I hung on the walls began to shake violently before dropping to the ground.

"Calm down Preeta!" Aashiq said sternly. She took in deep breaths before finally calming down.

"Why Aashiq? Why?" she asked. She looked like she was about to cry.

"Because I love her!"

The room became silent. I looked from Preeta to Aashiq and back to Preeta.

"You what?"

"Yes Preeta." Preeta shook her head, laughing maniacally.

     "You've got to be kidding me Aashiq. Tum ek insaan ke pyaar mein kaise pad gae? Yah haraam hai!" I looked in confusion. As if sensing my confusion, she translated.

     "How dare you fall in love with a human? It is haram!" Oh wow! So she knew about haram yet she was torturing me because I killed her non existent brother.

     Her hand flew and smacked me hard on the face. I let out a piercing scream. "Don't you dare talk about Ghoula in that manner!"

     "Stop it Preeta! Ghoula is dead. She had no idea she killed him. Humans can't see us, dumbo!"

     Preeta glared at him. "Dumbo? Seriously?"

     Aashiq shrugged and looked at me. "I'll make you a deal. Like I said, I'm in love with you Aisha. Be mine and I'll make sure Preeta never disturbs you again."

     I shook my head. I couldn't be with a jinn. They are horrible creatures.

     "Trust me, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. If Preeta can make you feel this way, how do you think my father will make you feel?"

     A cold shiver ran down my spine. I opened my mouth and closed it.

     "What do you say, Aisha?" With tears in my eyes, I nodded slowly.