6: The Difference

As he walked toward the royal shop along with Bram, he already sensed some individuals with malicious intentions lurking in the shadows. As expected, Aran placed some men in front of the shop. The only question left was, were they placed here to scout or to attack?

Though he was interested to have a real fight like back in the days, and even more so in a world so vastly different. Now was not the time.

Even if he was content with his cultivation results, he didn't really understand the extent of his achievements yet. Plus, alone against many in a twelve-year old's body, and the old butler, were too many liabilities to test his results. The only sensible option was to rush into the royal shop first and proceed further from there.

After telling Bram of his intentions, they started rushing toward the shop. This, of course, alerted Aran's henchmen, so two of them rushed out to block them.

The first one was careless and was avoided in a way that made the henchmen stumble and eventually fall to the ground, the other one was smarter and blocked the young prince's path ignoring Bram.

Bazuul, on the other hand, didn't decrease his speed - on the contrary - he accelerated. When he was close enough he motioned his body toward the left. The henchman tried to block his advance when suddenly the prince moved toward the right, he quickly tried to adjust and block the path to the right losing his balance on the way.

Only to realize that this young brat actually faked his motion and was still running toward the left side, this time the henchman couldn't re-adjust his posture anymore and fell to his left knee. Just as he was about to stand straight again the prince passed him leaving a well-positioned kick in the middle of his leg, breaking his right knee cleanly.

The henchmen growled in pain, as the others - hidden in the shadows - rushed out toward the prince. Too late though, the prince and his servant already entered the royal shop.

~~~

Inside the shop Bazuul felt excited, the rush he felt was electric, and his kick, it went through that fellow's knee as if butter. Admittedly, the timing was perfect, because after repositioning himself the henchmen's knee wasn't yet fully balanced, thus making it rather easy anyway.

Still, he was just a kid and even considering the strange pool of darkness and light, and although the body strengthening manual had helped, his life-vein had yet to completely recuperate.

Before the shopkeeper could even greet the young prince two familiar faces blocked his sight and stood in front of Bazuul. It was the guards he previously left handling those thugs in the tavern. They were mostly unharmed, only a couple of dents in their armor was noticeable.

"Gentleman, you've made it! Good!" Bazuul said with a happy expression. "Prepare yourselves for another battle, after I've looked around the shop, we'll start our..." The little prince chuckled little game.

The two guards that were about to complain were a bit puzzled. Also, a breath of icy air went down their spine, but they weren't particularly scared of a battle - on the contrary - but the way the prince spoke and his bearing. What kind of game would this foppish young lord have in mind? From that, slight ripples could be felt that gave a foreboding feeling of something...at least to them, unpleasant.

After passing the two guards he saw the shopkeeper and his assistant, they bowed before the prince and were about to greet when the latter beckoned and asked for a multitude of things. For example, arcane codex's, since he had yet to see one, or really understand what they were. Even though he could imagine.

After rummaging through the shop for about two hours he chose two things. Although not ecstatic, he was quite content. He did at least acquire one chapter of an arcane codex - even if it was not a complete compendium - it was enough to feed his curiosity for the moment. What intrigued him right from the start was other than the yellow-ish tone it held from the passage of time, was a slight, almost indistinct, golden hue. The chapter's name was.