Unsaid Words

~I had given up, I didn't know who to trust. So I designed a shell, it kept me from heaven and hell~Sia

Chapter Theme Song: 'Dressed in Black' by Sia

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

**

Rainey

"Water for you."

"Thanks." Ansel takes the bottle from my grasp, immediately taking a drink.

I plop down across from him, tucking my legs beneath me and lifting off the already opened lid of my beer.

He watches as I enclose my lips on the rim of the bottle and a small smile pulls at his lips.

Removing the beer from my mouth, I use my knuckle to wipe away the residue. "What?"

He shakes his head, his smile unchanging while he averts his eyes back to the worksheet.

"Nothing. Uhm, so while you were downstairs, I worked on the first question, this is what I got."

He slides his Math book to me before resting the water bottle on the tiles of the floor.

"Not bad, let me give it a try." I reach for my notebook and attempt to work the same problem myself; however, the solution I end up with is far different from his.

I make a face. "This has got to be wrong."

Ansel chuckles. "Let me see."

He leans over to see what I have. His face is unintentionally close to mine that I can feel his minty breath slapping my cheeks.

"Oh, I think I know what the issue is," He takes my book and shifts so he sits directly beside me. I try to ignore the weird feeling his knee touching my thigh gives and focus on his explanation.

"So, the issue is that you didn't rewrite the power as an equivalent expression."

I blink my eyes cluelessly. "Huh?"

He tries to suppress a smile. "Okay, so the thing is, whenever the power contains a negative exponent, you rewrite the power as an equivalent expression with a positive exponent by taking the reciprocal."

I have no idea what he just said.

"Do you understand?"

I smile a little. "I guess."

He laughs. "That's a 'no' then. I'll show you."

He grabs his pen and his book and begins to show me an example of what he just said. After a well-detailed visual, I catch the hang of it, and we move on to the next questions together.

We are almost at the end of the worksheet when my door thrusts open. Ansel and I pull our gaze in the direction of the doorway.

Jeff stands there. His expression is hostile, and he crosses his arms against his chest, leaning against the door jam while he glowers at us.