I Will Be Your Guardian

~I will be your guardian when all is crumbling, I'll steady your hand~ The Fray.

Chapter Theme Song: Never Say Never/Don't Let Me Go' by The Fray.

°°

Rainey

He stills his movements, and I stare at him dumbfoundedly while his eyes pierce through mine like a sword. His expression is one of endearment while he scrutinizes the features of my face.

"You're really pretty, Rain," he whispers.

Fresh heat spreads across my cheeks, and my breath catch in my throat, hindering me from uttering a response. He stares at me for a while, and I am secretly wishing he would kiss me; however, he swallows hard then pulls away, leaning back against his chair.

I drop my gaze to hide the dissatisfaction as silence falls upon us. Why did he move away? I didn't want him to.

I really didn't want him to.

A bright light projecting onto my porch breaks the awkward atmosphere, and I audibly groan as I realize that my mom and Jeff have arrived.

I sigh, reaching for the lid of the ice-cream tub. "Well, I guess that's my cue to go lock myself in."

"Would you like me to take you up?"

I shake my head, offering him the best smile I can muster. The fact that he didn't kiss me is a lot more disheartening than my mom being home. "I'll manage, it's not severe."

The front door opens as I shuffle down from the stool and limp to the fridge. Ansel conjures up from his seat while my mom's voice flows through the once quiet house.

"And that lady that was sitting right in front of us, oh my, her hairstyle was so disgusting, did you see it, Jeff? God, I would murder her hairdresser—" she trails off when she notices Ansel standing in the kitchen.

"Oh, you're still here?" She smiles at him, but it fades away as soon as she sees me putting the tub into the freezer. "Rain, you can't be serious. You know you can't eat ice-cream this late, that's very unhealthy, you should know that."

"Okay, okay I get it, I'm putting it back, see?" I slam the fridge door with a roll of my eyes. She never misses a chance to ridicule me.

I amble over to Ansel, giving him a tired smile. "I'll see you at school on Monday."

He nods, his eyes crinkling with solicitude and something else...pity? God, I can't bear that look right now.

"Safe travel home..." I begin to move off, but he gently grabs a hold of my arm, his fingers softly denting my skin. "Let me take you up, yeah?"

"What's wrong with your foot?" My mom questions, not an ounce of sympathy in her tone.

"Nothing, it's just a little bruised from the heels," I grumble.

"Oh, I forgot you're only used to wearing those heavy boots. Jeff, take her up to her room." She says dismissively, throwing her clutch onto the island's counter.

Jeff looks at me, and I frown.

"No." I sternly object, avoiding eye contact with him. "I don't want him touching me. I'll manage on my own."