Oblivion

~And I guess the bad can get better. Gotta be wrong before it's right. Every happy phrase engraved in my mind. And I've always been a go-getter, there's truth in every word I write. But still, the growing pains, they're keeping me up at night.~ Alessia Cara.

Chapter Theme Song: 'Growing Pains' by Alessia Cara & Cyrus DeShield.

••

Rainey

"You know I just think it's crazy how your mom hasn't started complaining yet...you know, about me being here." Riley attempts to knot the plaid tie around her neck, screwing her face up when it comes out looking like a tangled rope.

"I'll do it for you." I smile softly, quickly slipping my boots on before joining her by the mirror.

"My dad already spoke to her, and it's the least she can do after not telling me about your hospitalization." I bring the thick end of her tie across the narrow end while she watches the steps from my mirror.

"Honestly though, do you think that's why? Maybe she's starting to like me."

I scoff. Quite unlikely.

I adjust the tie firmly beneath her collar, straightening the perfectly formed knot while she crinkles her nose with a frown.

"This is literally a piece of fabric hanging on my neck. I look like a rottweiler for shit's sake."

I laugh. "It doesn't look that bad." Stepping back, I scrutinize her attire. "Mm. Your skirt looks a tad short though."

"Yeah, I had to tell the lady to take some of the inches off, I initially looked like a nun, Rainey."

I giggle. "Alright, pray Cameron doesn't notice it. Are they all this short though?" I slip my wrist band between my lips, pulling my hair up before tying it into a messy bun.

Crosshill's number one rule for the girls is no short skirts. Somehow Olivia manages to wear hers at thigh-length with zero chastisements. But what do I expect? Having a mom as a headmistress has its perks.

"Nah, the rest looks like a wedding dress."

I chuckle as I plop on my bed, crouching down to tie my laces.

"By the way, I meant to ask."

"Mm."

"Why were you and Ansel coming from that bathroom yesterday?"

My hands still on my laces while my mind goes into a state of reminiscence. Ansel's nude figure that I saw by accident vividly appears in my thoughts and I flash my head. Admittedly, I had great difficulty focusing on anything else since the incident. Even when Riley and I were at the mall yesterday, I was noticeably distracted. I felt like my soul was still present in that bathroom where Ansel had embraced me from behind.

My cheeks take on a bright shade of red and Riley whirls around with a grin on her face, bending her head to catch sight of my expression. I try to keep a straight face as I proceed to tie my laces, but I seem to have failed miserably since she begins snickering.

"You are blushing, oh my God." She perches against my dresser, grinning excitedly. "What did you guys do?"

"We didn't do anything. I--I just kind of walked in on him naked." My breathing has become uneven just by uttering the words. I suddenly feel hot as I sit upright, popping my blouse to create some breeze.

Riley's mouth is wide open. "Woah, wait-what?"

"It was an accident."

"Oh my God." She gasps as she hurries over to crash infront of me. I think she has forgotten that we have school this morning.