10 The Banquet*

Lilly's POV

The car rumbled along the road as we made our way through our territory to get to the midnight moon pack. Being the largest pack in North America they host the banquet.

"No one has told me what to expect." I say to Beta Carson as we rumble along.

"Well, it's a banquet. What more do you need to know?" He replies. No one seems to want to tell me anything I feel so in the dark.

"What happens at the banquet? You and Father are being so cagey. Just TELL ME!" Beta Carson bites his lip at the command.

"You eat." He responds. I want real answers and he's not budging. An unintentional growl comes out.

"Usually the Lunas will stay for the meal then go to an adjoining sitting room to let the boys talk." Sam jumps in trying to give me some information to calm me down. "You will stay with the Alphas, of course, and get to know some of them."

"Go on." I say and Beta Carson picks up the explanation.

"It is mostly posturing." He says. "Displaying dominance and securing alliances." He pauses. "Stick to your father... at least for a while you'll do fine."

I feel better having some idea what I'm walking into but I still have this nagging feeling that they are holding something back. I shake it off. I'm too nervous to add unsubstantiated feelings into the mix.

We finally make it to the banquet hall and it is massive. We are dropped off out front and I just stand there gawking at the elaborate design.

"Come on, we're holding up the line." Beta says. I look to see three cars behind us and allow Carson to lead Sam and I into the building.

Inside I see many round tables around a large room. A stage in the corner holds a small band of stringed instruments. The sound of soft music and conversation floods my ears. The far wall is almost completely stained glass the full moon making it glow beautifully.

I look around and find my father speaking to another Alpha. I nod to Beta Carson and Sam and make my way to him. Sam whispers a "good luck." As I depart.

"Evening Father." I say as I approach. He smiles at me.

"And this." He says wrapping his arm around me. "Is my beautiful daughter Lilly Anne Blackthorn. Future Alpha of the Red Rivers Pack."

They all stare at me. I can even feel the eyes of the men behind me burrowing into me.

"A pleasure to meet you." The closest Alpha says grabbing my hand and kissing it. "I am Alpha Gabriel of Panama and this is my son Carlos." I pull my hand from Alpha Gabriel and shake hands with his son.

"A pleasure to meet you too." I respond.

"Why don't you go introduce the fair Lilly to the rest of your peers Carlos while the grown ups talk." Alpha Gabriel says to his son. I look to father and he nods so I go with Carlos.

The other future Alphas are huddled together against the wall of glass near the stage. Being so close to the stage I can't hear the conversation until I am right on top of them.

"Father says they'll do it tonight." Is all I get when they all clam up and look at me.

"Ummmm.." my escort begins, "This is... ummm..."

"I'm Lilly, nice to meet you." I say to the group.

No one speaks for a moment. Then the guy who was talking when I came up breaks the silence.

"I'm Ronald, Ice Winters Pack." He says arms crossed. "This is Blake, Hunter, and Xander." The other soon to be Alphas only nod. Ronald was obviously dominant in this group.