5

ROYAL BLOOD
— 5. Disloyalty

         Henry stood at the foot of the table in his council room, which was filled with his most trusted advisors

         Henry stood at the foot of the table in his council room, which was filled with his most trusted advisors. He allowed John de la Pole and his son into his circle of advisors as well, hoping it would gain more York allegiance.

"I will not marry her," He suddenly announced, much to everyone's shock, "There are a dozen European princesses, all of whom are less willful and would make more obedient wives."

"But none of whom will unite the warring houses," Lord Stanley spoke up, but Henry was quick to argue.

"The other York girls would," He pointed out in a calm tone, "Or Margaret Plantagenet. God knows there's enough of them."

"But you have promised that you will marry Princess Lizbeth," John de la Pole jr. spoke up in a calm tone.

"If you refuse, you will surely insult her and the Yorks will rise up in her defense. They worship her and her mother. If you wrong them in any way, they will not take it lightly," his father continued on in a calm tone, agreeing with his son.

"The Yorks can still command England, Henry. And Princess Lizbeth also has Lancastrian blood running through her veins as much as York. Her half-sisters and Margaret Plantagenet do not," Jasper explained in a calm tone, causing Henry to sigh in defeat.

"Your pledge was to unite the country, which is why you have us on your council," John de la Pole continued on, much to Henry's dismay, "I can only tell you what the others of our House will do and now, they feel..." He trailed off, an uneasy look on his face, "Um, forgive me, Your Grace, that you are a Welshman who's lived your life in France and does not even know our customs."

There was a long moment in silence, just before he spoke up once more. "Take another as your mistress. Take anyone you choose. But they insist you marry Princess Elizabeth as you have sworn to do."

Henry remained silent, turning to glance at his mother before he looked back at the York man. "I am not her father. I would never wrong my wife in such a way," He found himself saying, causing men to exchange looks with each other.

He sighed in defeat, just before leaving the room.

______

   The following day, Nora made her way through the gardens with Lizbeth, Katherine, Lizzie, and Cecily.

They walked into the mazes made with the hedges to get away from their ladies, who hadn't realized their disappearance yet.

"Parliament has ordered that he must marry you if he wants to remain King of England," Nora informed Lizbeth and the rest of the girls in a calm tone.

"I was right then," Lizbeth replied in an annoyed tone, "He doesn't want to marry me."

Lizzie turned to look at her sister, an amused look on her face. "I don't blame him. You were so cruel to him."