A Great King

"Where have you been?"

Charles' hard voice cuts through the silence and I can see that his eyes are burning. And not with passion as they usually do when they rest upon me. Perhaps tonight it is fury or jealousy but during our months together I have learned how to make him soften. And the most important thing, which I figured out quickly: his anger was never dependent upon my behaviour. I never had to watch my every move and word around him. When his anger flared up, it was state business and things beyond my control that vexed him.

"I beg your pardon, Your Majesty", I murmur as my hands remove his shirt. 

When he is sitting on the bed and I am standing between his legs, my robe comes off and I can see the instant transformation in his face. Carefully, like it was made of glass, he takes some of the light garment in his hand.

"You were breathtaking that night", he sighs.

As he kisses me, the passion spreads inside of me like a wildfire. For the first time in a long time, when I am exposed to the flesh, I feel comfortable in my own skin. For the first time since my child stopped growing, I want Charles desperately. Something has awoken inside me and he is the one who can quench my yearning. After using his skillful fingers on me, making me reach my peak two times, he flips me over on my stomach like I am as light as a feather. I tremble as I wait for him to enter me, but he takes his time, making sure I am still ready for him. He teases me by stroking his hardness against my wetness and I sigh impatiently.

"Please", I moan breathlessly.

What is he waiting for? Does he enjoy driving me insane?

"Tell me how much you want me", he says, his voice almost breaking.

His hands caress my lower back and I shiver.

"Please", I beg. "I need you. I need you right now."

I tense up as he moves in closer, waiting just by my entrance before he stops once more.

"You're killing me", I pant.

A small laugh escapes his lips as he leans in to grab one of my breasts.

"Did I not teach you that prolonged pleasure is the best kind of pleasure?"

His fingers pinch my rock hard nipple and I bite my lip to hold back a scream. I decide that it is impossible to wait for him any longer. That is why I suddenly back up and before he understands what is happening, his tip is inside of me.

"I want you with everything I have", I whisper. "Now fuck me."

As he buries himself inside of me, I think I see stars. Perhaps prolonged pleasure is a good thing after all.

"May I ask you something?"

I am still laying on top of him, resting my head on his hard yet somehow soft torso, listening to his steady heartbeat that has just begun to slow down.

"Of course my love", he says simply.

I gather my courage before I speak, since I have no idea how he will react.

"What are your plans for France?"

His hand stops stroking my hair and suddenly it's his public voice I hear.

"What have you heard?"

"Only gossip, some talk here and there around court."

"I did not expect you to listen to gossip."

I kiss his chest and take his hand in mine.

"I cannot turn off my ears. I'm asking you because I want the truth."

"Since when are you interested in my royal duties?"

For the first time I raise my head, look him in the eye and repeat what Edmund told me.

"Since I heard you might lead the army yourself."

The image of Charles storming the French troops makes my stomach turn. Could Edmund be right about this, could he really be preparing for war?

"Is it true?" I whisper so quietly I almost can't hear it myself.

The silence seems to go on for an eternity before Charles speaks again. He kisses my hand and this time his voice is back to his private one, but also thick with emotion.

"There may or may not be a war. For now I do not know what will happen." He clears his throat and when he speaks again his voice is much louder. "I must make big and difficult decisions. That is part of being a great King."

I have never seen Charles vulnerable before. I have never seen any man vulnerable before. I have not been taught how to react in this kind of situation so I use the only weapons I know Charles cannot resist. When our tongues meet I feel the need for him once more.

"And a great King you most certainly are."

He grabs my shoulders, flips me over and does not stop until I am screaming out in pleasure. However, when I leave Charles' chambers the following morning I somehow still feel restless and strangely enough unfulfilled, even though he has pleased my body in every way possible, like he always does. What is it that I want that he cannot give me anymore? I do not feel the same calm in his presence like I used to. I am merely agitated and want him to take me with a kind of violence I have not appreciated before. I am scared I might be dependent on pain. Perhaps I deserve to hurt.