Best Friend

Ollie stared at Detective Rio like he had lost his damn mind for standing so close to me. In a way she wasn't wrong. However this man with no concept of personal space did not.

"Easy there, sweetheart." He winked at me, making my nose twitch.

Don't act like you don't like the attention, bitch.

Seriously?

"What are you doing here?" My question was stupid. Anyone was allowed in a public place. He smirked at me as I internally face palmed myself. Ollie shot me an ate you stupid look.

"I was just reading over some case files, until your beautiful self distracted me." Detective Rio was a smooth talker for sure.

"Back off Casanova, she's not interested." Ollie cut in grabbing me by the arm, dragging me out of the coffee shop.

"Really, Stella! A fucking cop!" She snarled at me.

She's got a point.

Oh don't you start, Steve!

Well...

"I didn't ask for his attention..." I complained to my angry looking friend.

"Well, you sure know how to get yourself into some shit."

I rolled my eyes, turning to walk down the street. I don't need her to tell me what I already know. I have a serial killer in my mind that takes over. Kills people and does who knows what with my body. I really don't have time to work a detective into the mix.

Bad for business.

Shut up.

I'll go daydream about my next victim.

I cringed at the thought of him killing someone else.

"Don't you want your latte?" His smooth voice called out. I looked over my shoulder, receiving a scowl from Ollie.

"Ollie! It's a chai latte!" I whined, walking back to the handsome detective. This man was going to be trouble for Steve. Which meant trouble for me as well.

"Thanks..." I say reaching out to take the styrofoam cup from him with the cute green leaf sleeve on it. But he pulled his hand back, smirking.

"We were supposed to get coffee soon." Detective Touchy pants informed me. I frowned at him.

"Can I please have my drink." I politely asked him, batting my eyelashes. Again getting a look of 'have you lost your mind' from Ollie.

No, I haven't. I just have a slutty serial killer that likes to put their two cents in.

I'm not slutty...

Shut up.

Rude...

Ugh...

"Kiss on the cheek and it's yours."

This guy was insufferable. Just didn't know when to leave someone alone. I guess it didn't help with the mix signals Steve kept trying to send.

Bwahaha...

"Give her the damn coffee."

"It's tea." He said matter of factly, handing me my latte. His fingertips brushed the top my hand, I rolled my eyes.

"Does it fucking matter." Spat Ollie, again grabbing my arm. She was really in a mood today.

"Ollie, you don't have to be so rude." I whispered.

"Mind if I walk with you ladies?"

You know he was kind of like a stalker on steroids that packed a gun.

"I did owe you a coffee." Steve spoke for me. Which made Detective Rio's face light up with a mega-watt smile.

I hate you.

I know.

The three of us walked in silence down the bustling street.

"So, what case are you working on?" I asked innocently.  He looked at me with inquisitive eyes. Instantly I felt uncomfortable having asked. It was like he was trying to read my mind for the answer to my own question.

"Two deaths occurred recently. They seem to copy cat a killer back in the 1990's."

"Oh..."

"Why do you ask?"

"Curiosity... I guess." I smiled, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. He watched my hand move, then peeled over at a very disgruntled Ollie.

Oh wait... maybe he knows who Steve is!

Haha...

Steve was dying of laughter. Nothing about that was funny.

Good luck.

"Really?" Detective Rio was looking at me as if he could hear the conversation in my head.

"Yea..." I murmured.

"Fuck! Stella! We have that appointment." Interrupted Ollie. I looked at her confused, until she raised her eyebrows. Which signaled, 'I'm saving your ass. Let's go.'

"Uh... oh yea. You needed your butthole bleached!" I blurred out. She blanched in disbelief. I laughed and without a second look at the confused detective we ran off.

Did you really just say that?

Steve asked with a bit of humor to his tone.

Yea, I did.

We came to a stop just short of the park.

"Stella..."

Ollie looked at me with an odd expression.

"You have to be more careful."

"Yea, I know."

"How long has the detective been flirting?"

I stared down at my feet. It had been since the first time I woke up in a crime scene. Which was the night of the club with Tobias.

"Tobias..."

Her expression was hurt. It was clear that she really liked the guy.

Aw that almost makes me feel bad.

Not now.

Fine...

I pulled Ollie into a hug.

"I'm sorry."

She sniffled a bit then pushed me away.

"I want to help you."

"I thought you hated me." I questioned with my arms folded across my chest. The cool breeze had goose bumps popping up all over my arms.

"You're my best friend."