Forget Me

I woke to the sound of people talking in hushed tones. They were standing right outside my door.

"How many this time?" A man's voice questioned. It seemed so familiar to me and yet, I still couldn't place it.
"Four I believe. That's all that shows up in Steve's moving portrait.

Moving portrait?

Wincing I sat up, looking about the dimly lit room. Nothing had changed aside from Steve not being in my head. That was actually nice. Creepy as hell that he is a girl not a guy.

"She's awake..."

A young man with dirty blonde hair stepped into the doorway. He looked to be in his late 20s. His eyes were a pale blue. His frame was toned, his height perfect.

"You describe me so well." He chuckled.

Does everyone read minds here?

"Some more than others."

He took a seat at the edge of the bed, folding his hands in his lap. Then he smiled a beautiful smile.

"How are you feeling, Abby?"

"I'm fine... but why does everyone keep calling me that?"

He frowned, sucking in a huge breath then released it. Closing his eyes he didn't speak for a long time.

"I see..."

"You see what?"

"My name is Leo. Do you know me?"

I shook my head no. Leo's eyes fell to his lap.

"Why must she keep taking you from me..." he sighed heavily, standing up from the bed.

"What are you talking about?"

"I am your fiancé... Steve erases me from your mind every time you skip dimensions..."

Leo looked so like his world would come crashing down at any second.

"How many times will I have to earn your love?"

I looked at him confused. I wish I knew him. My brain felt itchy, like there was something supposed to be there. But I just couldn't recall any memory of him.

"I'm sorry."

He closed the gap between us, a soft hand resting on my cheek, his eyes hooded.

"Don't... my love it's not your fault."

My heart skipped a beat at the words he spoke. Or was it the way he was looking at me. With such longing and dare I say, love?

An orderly walked in with a paddle. It had strange wires coming from it. Directly behind him was Ms. Stella. Her expression was sour.

"Time for therapy." She mumbled gravely. Leo dropped his hand from my cheek, turning away from me.

How I longed to feel his touch again. That's weird.

I heard him chuckle again before he quickly left the room. The air in the room went stale as the door slammed shut. Both the orderly and Ms. Stella stared at me like I was their prey.

Dear God, Help me.

"Don't worry dear. This will only hurt for a moment."

Panic rose in my chest, the silent hum from the paddle growling louder as they moved closer to my bed.

"Please don't!" I begged, but they didn't listen. The pain that followed was excruciating. The orderly slammed the paddle against the side of my head with a loud crack. Bright lights flickered in my vision as I fell sideways off my bed, then I blacked out.

———-
"Hello?" I cried out into the darkness.

Are you sure I'm the bad guy?

Steve's voice called. I turned every which way, but it was completely dark. There was no light here.

Steve?

Yes, Abby...

What's going on?

Stella sent you to the shadow dimension. She's hoping to trap me here.

Why?

I kill people...

I know.

But it's not mindless killing... the people that I kill are bad. They did awful things to other people. Granted I didn't have to dismember them like I do. However, that's just a way to keep the cops from finding out who I am... or you rather. I want to protect you.

You tried to kill me...

I remembered what Ms. Stella has said about Steve burning down the orphanage.

No... Your sister did.

Ollie?

Steve's face appeared in front of me, her nose mere inches from mine. Her expression was that of sorrow.

I saved you from the flames. I can still hear her screaming when I close my eyes. I took those memories from you. I never stole Leo.

Who is Leo?

Your fiancé... he truly loves you. You do not have to fear him.

Fear?

You should fear Dr. Aikens...

Who is that?

Ms. Stella's estranged husband. He kills those who don't fit his perfect world.

World?

Brindleshiar...

I thought that was just the name of the place.

Not at all. It's the entire dimension we are in. I've been trying to jump plains. However, you have something in Brindleshiar holding you back.

Leo.

Yes... that is why anytime we escape to a new world. You tend to find someone with a name that is similar. Not in looks though.

Theo Reo...

Yea that name is too funny. But yes.

I nodded in understanding. If she wasn't erasing him from my mind... who was?

Leo...

What?

When he thinks you are close to being tethered to a new world he uses his forgotten orbs to make you forget him.

Tears welled up in my eyes. How could someone who loves me want me to forget them? Why wouldn't he just come with me?

His father...

Who is his father?

Dr. Aikens.... Leo just wants you to be free to be who you are.

I just sighed, looking around in the dark.

Nothing makes sense at all.