Chapter 1 - Sable

Today was just like any other day

Today was just like any other day. Sewing nonstop until the late hours of the evening, while my younger sister, Mabel, aided the customers as a clerk. This shop was the only thing that our parents left behind for us aside from our home. They both passed when I was 15, Mabel was only a child, and Label was a young dreamer, who's dreams also took her away from us. I never thought I'd be able to take the place of our parents for them, but it's just Mabel and I, and I'm responsible for her now. I need to make sure that she's on the right track. There was no time for me to dilly-dally, because I knew that, in the end, all this hard work would pay off.

I had just finished making a shirt. I stopped to admire my latest design as I held it and flattened it out, being careful not to give it any wrinkles. I thought for a moment and then decided to dub it... 'the leaf shirt'.

I stared at it and thought of the future that awaited me in this village. Of course I was born here in Animal Village, but it only recently occurred to me that I had yet to make plans for me and my sibling. Everything was so care-free to me as a child, but after the death of my parents, there was something that hit me. Reality.

I didn't have much time to think, because just then, Tom Nook walked into the store. I could tell that he was in a good mood. He had a grin that stretched from ear to ear. Tom and I grew up together in this town, and ever since my parents passed, he has been like a big brother to me and has really helped out with taking care of Mabel. He knew exactly what he wanted his future to be like. He wanted to be the most successful business man of all time, and there was absolutely nothing that would stop him from doing it.

He trotted through the front door and headed towards me at the back of the shop, almost about to explode from excitement. "Sable, You wont believe this!" He said exploding with excitement. "I just got a letter back from Redd! He said that he will be ready by next week! I'll have to head on a bus to the city on Saturday. Isn't this amazing Sable? Redd and I are finally starting a business!"

I stopped and tried to break down everything that Tom just said, "Redd?" I said putting down the shirt. "We haven't seen him in years."

"I know!" He exclaimed. "I can't wait to finally see him again!"

"Do you think he will be the same? I mean, he has been living in the city for quite some time now."

Tom looked at me as if I was crazy, "Don't worry Sable, He's my best friend! Besides, how much of Redd could have changed anyway, hm?"

"I hope so," I said, "The big city can really change people."

"Just relax, this is Redd we're talking about. Everything will be alright. I promise."

I tried to change the subject, "Here, why don't you try on this shirt on." I slowly picked up the leaf shirt that I put aside and slipped it over Tom's head.

He put his arms through the sleeves slowly and carefully. Then he put is arms on his hips, popped his chest out and smiled at me.

I chuckled, "You look great!"

He came closer, "So do you," he said. And with that, he took my hand, gently pecked it, and walked out of the store.

I quickly turned my head to look out the window next to me, to watch Tom leave. He strode over to the shore line and just sat there, observing the autumn sky. Then, after studying his leaf shirt one more time, headed out into town.

Mabel, who had been watching me stare out the window chuckled, "Watching Tom again?"

I whirled around startled, "Mabel, don't be ridiculous!"

I pondered on what Mabel had said. I knew it was obvious, but I guess I'd just been trying to ignore it for so long. 

Maybe Tom Nook was more than just a big brother to me now.

----- Author's Note -----

If you enjoyed the chapter, please support it by voting!