Chapter 16 - Sable's Letter

Dear Tom,

Dear Tom,

I dream about you often. The way you'd walk into the shop pretending to look for a new outfit when we both know you were really only spending time there to chat with me and keep me company while I worked away. The way you would softly smile whenever you'd smell the freshly baked cookies in my home. The way your eyes glistened as we star gazed into the late hours of the night, dreaming of our futures.

But that's all it is now. A dream. A memory waiting to be forgotten. It's been ten months since I've heard from you. I grew anxious and worried about you each and every night, hoping you were alright. Pete from the post office told me you've seemed quite alright when you two would see each other in the city. I'm glad you're safe. He says you're doing fine and you look happy.

Ten months is quite a long time for a person to grow. I've done some growing of my own, you know. I've come to terms with the fact that you won't be coming back. From the sounds of it, you've made the city your home now and I'm happy for you. The pain of never seeing you again is too great, so I decided I can't spend my days staring out the window, hoping you'd return. Nor can I spend my days waiting for a letter in the mail. Phyllis tells me I need to move on, just as you have and focus on my family, and I think she's right. Mabel is all I have left now and she needs me to be on top of things. I can't keep living with my head in the clouds hoping our dreams of being together will still come true.

It pains me to say that I'm writing this to you as a farewell. Life has a funny way of teaching us valuable lessons about friendship and love. I wish you luck on your endeavours, and I hope the city was everything you dreamt it would be. I don't know if you'll even read this, but in case you do, I truly do wish you the best of luck.

May the hopes and dreams you buried as a boy be given to you in the city as a man,

Sable.

P.S. I've attached a small box to this letter. It doesn't seem as if I'll be needing it anymore. 

----- Author's Note -----

If you enjoyed the chapter, please support it by voting!