Chapter 14 - Redd

Life's good! It couldn't get much better than this

Life's good! It couldn't get much better than this. Two straight wins and now a royal flush. Ol' Redd's really rolling in bells now. The dealer handed me some colourful tokens, I had a whole stack of them. Time to cash out! If only Gracie could see me now! Oh well, her loss. Who needs her anyway? I've got her daddy's financiers on contract and Nook looking after the place while I hit the slots and win jackpots! I do feel a little bad about pushing the bulk of the work onto Tom. To be fair, I was slaving away working my butt off snagging all kinds of favours and deals. All while he sat comfortably back in Animal Village. He should be thanking me, really.

I really hope Grendal wasn't too loose in the lips with what he told Tom. Hey, everybody's gotta eat. So what if we hold our cards close to the chest? Speaking of cards, "I was on fire tonight!"

"You sure know how to play those dealers, Redd!"

I made a bunch of new friends now that I'm a big wig. Party here, party there, casino every other night. It's a pretty sweet deal! The dream, I'm living the dream! This is what I came out to the big city to do.

"Alright fellas, I'll catch you guys another time, gonna go hit the hay."

"Awww, already?" my new friends grumbled with disappointment, "The night's plenty young! How about a few more rounds?"

"Nah, lads I'm gonna call it. I'll be back real soon, though. We need to do this again real soon!"

I was feeling a little drowsy. I think I earned myself a good nights sleep. Even if it was the early hours of the morning.

When I got home Tom was still asleep. Boy do I have great news for him in the morning.

The alarm rang almost immediately after my head hit the pillow. I completely forgot to switch off the alarm. I could've gotten a few extra minutes of snooze time. I was in no rush to head into the store, Tom would have everything covered. Oh, right. I was going to reveal the big news to Nook before he went into work today!

I hopped out of bed, took a big yawn and stretched.

"Hey cuz'! Whatcha eating for breakfast? Cereal? Great!"

"Morning Redd. I see you had a busy night. I heard you stumble in through the door."

"Listen Tom, the past couple of months have been great, being room mates with you and all. But now I think I'm ready for something bigger, something crazier!"

Tom looked at me perplexed as he finished his breakfast.

"I'm gonna move in to a fancy new apartment! And the best part is: you get to keep this one! All to yourself, how does that sound, cuz'?"

Tom looked pretty surprised, that was the first time I'd seen him smile in a long time come to think of it.

"That's great to hear, you'll really let me keep the place?" He asked.

"Of course! We can sign the papers today if you want! I'm ready for bigger and greater things!"

I'd been saving up for a large suite in the new high rise buildings that had finished construction not too long ago. With all the winnings I've been making hitting the slots and the earnings from the store, I was well over what I needed to buy the place. To say I was eager to get out of that dump of an apartment and into a luxurious new place would be an understatement. Big outdoor pool, giant heated bed, personal hot tub... yeah, that was real living!

We shook hands and chatted for a bit before I pulled up the apartment ownership deed. We both signed it and Tom took them so he could drop them off to Lyle before work. It was official! He was the new owner of this one star apartment, and I'd soon become the owner of a fancy luxury suite on 1st street!

Later that day I stopped by the store to make sure Tom hadn't set the place on fire. I hadn't been there in a while so it was nice to see the place booming with customers and fully stocked. Tom seemed to be doing a decent job running the place. He told me Lyle filed the documents for the apartment ownership and thanked me again. Nice to finally get a thank you and some recognition around here. I worked for years acquiring suppliers to send me merchandise we could sell at this store. My previous attempts on the black market didn't pan out so good, but this was totally legit! Well... maybe legit isn't the right word. A place like Redd & Jerry's Art Emporium had the backing of one of the wealthiest men in the city, so there was nothing to worry about.

Or so I thought.

Lyle gave me a call. He said he had bad news and needed to see me in person right away. Tom asked me if everything was okay.

"Everything's just fine cuz'! I'll take care of it." I said as I put my phone away.

Tom didn't seem too convinced.

Lyle and I met up in an alley behind Club LOL. It was a private spot with not too much action, a good spot to have private conversations. Lyle was looking extra shifty. I gave him a pat on the shoulders, "Heya cuz'! So... what seems to be the big issue?"

"It's the paintings. Word's got out. Forgeries. And the licenses. They know!"

I looked around to make sure we were alone, "Who knows, Lyle? Who??"

"Word on the street is the feds. But likely the FBI too."

"Not the Federal Bureau of Iguanas!"

"You know how those Iguanas are. Always meddling. Bad news. Real bad."

I had to think. What to do. What to do. If the store was compromised, then I couldn't go back there. Luckily, the apartment's in Tom's name now so I'm free to skip on outta here.

"Alright Lyle, listen very carefully. This is what we're gonna do..."

----- Author's Note -----

If you enjoyed the chapter, please support it by voting!