Chapter 12 - Tom Nook

It was a cloudy morning, the city was lightly coated with snow

It was a cloudy morning, the city was lightly coated with snow. There were always people out and about regardless of the time of day. It was early, 6:00am. I got dressed and ready to head out into the cold streets. I had a few hours before I had to open up the store, so I went over to Lungorio's office building. I decided the previous night that I would get to the bottom of this myself. I tried to get the authorities involved but they reached an impasse. I would have to take matters into my own hands and do some sleuthing of my own. This wasn't a mystery novel, however, and I had none of the qualifications of a detective. All I could do was face this myself, head on.

I took a taxi that brought me a few blocks away from the office building and had it drop me off there due to some construction that blocked some roads. It would be faster to walk from that point. It seemed like there was always some construction going on somewhere in this city.

After entering the building and wiping my feet I spoke to the receptionist, "Good morning, do you know if Mr. Longorio is in today?"

"He's unfortunately not here, won't be back until tomorrow. Did you want me to take a message for you, Mr. Nook?"

"No that's alright" I said feeling disappointed. I was making my way back to the revolving doors when I had another idea. Walking back to the front desk I asked, "How about Mr. Grendal?"

"Yes. He's in his office."

"Perfect" I said as I made my way through the main foyer.

"Sorry Mr. Nook he's actually quite busy at the moment. He'll be available after 5pm.

"Oh. How unfortunate. I suppose I'll come by after 5 then."

"No problem Mr. Nook. I'll put you down for a 5:30 meeting!"

I was once again disappointed, however, at least I wouldn't have to wait until tomorrow. Redd was probably waiting for me at the store anyway. I took a cab over to the store and to my surprise there was no one inside. I unlocked the front door, turned the lights on and prepared the day ahead. After counting the stock and ensuring the register had enough money, I opened up the store. There were plenty of customers there, but no sign of Redd.

The day went on and I was forced to take reigns on my own. I'd left Redd numerous messages until his inbox was completely full. He hadn't bothered to come in to work today. It was an exhausting work day, but I still found the energy to make my way over to my meeting with Grendal.

My stomach felt knotted and my palms were a little sweaty. I admittedly was rather nervous to speak to Grendal. I hadn't even thought about what I would ask him. Perhaps, if Jerry had mentioned the rubies to him. Maybe If he knew the suspect in the footage. I didn't have much time to think at that point.

"Mr. Grendal is ready to see you now."

I went up to the elevator and pushed the button for the 38th floor. Grendal had a very large and spacious office on this floor.