Chapter 38

"Wait— what am I doing?!" Sara exclaimed confused by what she had just said.

She pushed him away and got to her feet.

"Sara please—"

She shook her head. She was not ready for a relationship. Despite everything she did not trust him. Trust was the foundation of every relationship. He had not told her what he was or the nature of their relationship. He had practically kept her prisoner and had even ripped her from her family.

"No—" she said, her voice shaking.

She was completely confused. She did not want to be essentially owned like a trophy, stuck in painful clothing just to appease an overbearing wolf-man.

"Sara why won't you love me?"

"I-I can't. It is wrong. You have taken me from everything I have ever known. I am struggling to adapt to this life. I can't handle it. All I ever do is just sit and look pretty," she screamed, tears streaming down her eyes as she fell to her knees.

His arms wrapped around her as her head met his chest and she sobbed into it.

"Sara didn't you feel out of place there after you met me? As if you did not belong?"

"Don't try mess up my thoughts. Maybe you are not even a werewolf. Maybe I have just been hallucinating. How do I not know I am delusional and this whole thing is not made up?!"

"Sara calm down. Please, you are working yourself up. I can feeling you shaking," Adam pleaded with his mate.

He began to undo the laces of her dress and corset, just slightly, to help her breathe better. Whilst trying to coax her to calm down.

"I want to be myself. I want to run around and have fun in whatever I want without you judging me. Why won't you let me? Do you think I am ugly?"

"Sara you are—"

"Am I really that ugly? You don't want me showing any skin. You just want me to cover up everything. You don't want to see my body becau—"

"I never said that. Please bunny? Kitten?"

"Why do you treat me like this," she continued to cry.

Adam felt utterly useless. The sobbing mess in his arms refused to listen to reason. He had never seen a female so irrational in his life. He had no idea what to do. Was she sick? Hormonal?

The worst part was that despite how much time he had spent with her he did not know how to even calm her down. What would make her instantly happy? He spent so much time arguing with her that he never got time to figure her out. All he knew was that she hated his way of life. She hated female submission and fashion trends oh and being normal.

"Why won't you say anything?! You are not denying it... so it must be true!"

Her crying got worse.

"What do you want me to say woman?"

Her eyes met his, they looked simply horrified.

He had made yet another big mistake.

She shoved him back yet again and fled the throne room.

He didn't even call out to her. It was useless. He felt horrible. Why did he have to be so bad at having a mate? Oh wait he did not even have one because whenever she got close to accepting him he always messed up.

He was a King, an Alpha, a dominant male, wealthy and apparently very handsome. Any female would die to have him. Any female except his own.

The one who shot down his courting attempts.

He even gave her cute little nicknames and pet names, like bunny and kitten. They were adorable and suited her so well. Yet they did not make her giggle and blush like they were supposed to.

He was a failure.

Sara's heart was racing erratically in regret. Was she too hard on him? No she could not have been. He was just stupid and backward when it came to women that was all. He could not even comfort her when she needed him— did he really think she was ugly?

Without warning pain like no other courses through her body. She collapsed on the floor, her body shaking, thrashing about.

Her screams were loud and reached him who ran to her immediately.

When he touched her however, it felt better.

There was no pain.

She leaned into him. She needed him.

Adam felt rather confused. She was a strange creature. A very strange one.

The second his hand left her she screamed again in pain.

It was then that he knew what was happening. She was taking too long for their bond. It was doing whatever possible to force her to stop resisting even torturing her.

"Don't let go. Please. I don't want to hurt again," she whimpered.

He felt his heart breaking at her show of vulnerability. She actually needed him. Sh wanted him for once.

The problem was that she was unable to leave him at all and he did not know how far he would have to go to help her. Would it simply be getting her to accept or would it be more drastic like actually mating her.

He couldn't do that to her. Not without her consent.

"Make it stop. Adam make it stop," she begged holding him tighter.

His touch was no longer enough.