Part 25

The day passes by in the blink of an eye, and Avery is surprised by how much she enjoys herself.

Roman hasn't brought up her random and awkwardly-timed shift, which she's thankful for, because she doesn't know what she would say to him in the slightest.

She is dragged off by the women she met the other night to have lunch with them, which turns into a long gossip session about some of the warriors, who are apparently a very kinky bunch.

Avery raised a brow hearing this information and made a mental note of it while trying not to laugh, and she noticed Carolyn was struggling to keep a straight face as well, while one girl described her midnight adventure with one.

The food is good, and the people are welcoming and kind, so Avery relaxed in their company, letting herself loose and laughing with them.

"We heard you have the hots for our Alpha," a middle-aged woman Avery vaguely recognises smirks, and they all lean closer to her again.

Avery laughs nervously, and Carolyn sits back in her chair with a wide grin on her face, letting her friend endure the torture.

"I'm only here for four more days, so nothing will happen," Avery rushes out, raising her hands in the air.

"You didn't deny it," a young woman sing-songs, making kissing noises in Avery's direction.

"You all enjoy torturing me, don't you?" Avery sighs, rolling her eyes dramatically and throwing herself back in her camp chair.

The chair falls over backwards, and everyone bursts out laughing, including Avery, who's legs are over her head.

Some of the men hurry over to help everyone up - some women fell off their seats from laughing - and then they're shooed away with dirty looks, as the women keep chuckling.

"So you're actually gonna go when the week is up?" Carolyn asks quietly once the laughter subsides, and some of the ladies look remarkably sad.

"I mean, yeah. I have duties at home, and I can't stay here," she shrugs, running a hand through her wavy hair absent-mindedly.

"I mean, we do need a Luna," one woman mutters to her friend, who elbows her aggressively.

Avery catches these words, and quickly looks over to the girl, her brows furrowed as the woman looks like she wants the floor to open up and swallow her.

"You guys have a Luna," Avery responds evenly, and a ripple goes through the small crowd of women, some looking very disapproving of the topic being discussed.

"Supposedly," one young woman murmurs with a roll of her eyes to her friend, who gives her an eye roll back.

"What happened to her?" Avery asks curiously, and Carolyn looks uneasy.

Before anybody can speak, Carolyn stands up, brushing her hair behind her ears.

"We can't talk about it," she says sternly, and Avery raises an eyebrow and drops her jaw as she looks at her friend.

"He has us under a command not to speak about it," Carolyn murmurs softly, an apologetic look on her face, "I have to monitor the conversation since I'm here. Anyone who talks about it could get thrown into the cells for a week."

Avery raises her other brow in shock, shaking her head.

"That seems a bit extreme," she responds quietly, looking around to make sure she can't see Roman.

"That's our Alpha for you," Carolyn sighs before she walks away to join her mate and child.

Avery shakes her head, nodding to the remaining women, before wandering back over to where she started the day.