Part 42

Louisa can't come until the following week, which bothers Avery a lot.

Her offer to speak to her Alpha was shouted down, and then Avery was screamed at for being inconsiderate of Louisa's pregnancy.

She hung up that call even more agitated than she had been when she entered the office.

Louisa's mate had to physically remove the phone from her hand to get her to stop roaring, and he apologised to Avery before he hung up, mentioning pregnancy hormones.

Sonya disagreed, and she disagreed loudly with the phrase she is the biggest drama queen I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.

Avery agreed with Sonya again.

It was only 11 am, but Avery felt like months had gone by.

Taking out her laptop, she quickly gets up a blank document and begins listing reasons why she shouldn't announce her accession. She can't think of many, and even though it may have been impulsive, she mindlinks the entire pack available to meet at the pack's high school football field.

Everybody is confused, but the meeting is set for 12.

The Beta hurries into the room, looking aghast that he wasn't kept in the loop.

"Hello, Avery, where is York?" He asks formally, and Avery rolls her eyes, her irritation spiking.

"Jared, I've seen your dick, drop the act. York is in the hospital incapacitated right now, so I hope you're ready to step up and do my job," she shrugs, and the man goes pale.

"You heard me, it's time to be a real Beta," she adds, her cold eyes taking in the pathetic figure in front of her.

Almost the entire pack is waiting for Avery when she arrives, with varying expressions of shock or confusion.

Everybody was expecting York, even though Avery made the announcement.

"Good afternoon, everybody," she clears her throat as she steps onto the makeshift stage, flicking her ponytail over her shoulder.

She had quickly changed her comfy clothes for a structured, sleeveless, knee-length ruby red affair, with black heels on her feet and her hair in a sleeker ponytail than ever before.

Everybody echoes her welcome back to her, and her eyes rove over the crowd, completely at ease.

"I have some bad news," she continues, nodding to the guards who are spread out throughout the crowd looking for any sign of guilt or annoyance.

"As of two hours ago, Alpha York Wilcott is in a medically induced coma after an attempted poisoning," she announces, her tone cold and calm.

Immediately, there are waves of shocked chatter, and some people look so horrified that they look ready to pass out.

The guards take the names of people who look too shocked, and of those who don't look surprised at all.

Avery suspects everybody. And everybody suspicious will be investigated.

Somebody raised a hand, and she nods to them, waiting for them to ask their question.

"Is this why you have returned?" She whispers, and Avery growls.

"I have not returned to topple my brother," she snarls, and the woman shrinks back.

"I meant to take care of him," the woman adds faintly, and Avery pulls back.

"I apologise. No. I am back because I have a job to do, and I was coming back regardless of York's medical state," Avery nods, and there are ripples in the crowd again.