Part 54

The dinner is relatively quick, and Avery's parents drink enough wine for the entire table.

Avery decided to stick to water in solidarity with the pregnant she-wolf beside her.

Zephyr stuck to water due to the fact he had to drive home after this little shindig.

The party of five is in the dining room built for at least ten, and it's slightly awkward due to the vast unoccupied area.

The conversation lulls a little after dessert is served, and the guests shift a little uncomfortably.

"So where is your sister, Avery?" Zephyr asks, sipping his drink as he looks over the rim of his glass, desperate to end the weird silence.

Her mother butts in before Avery can open her mouth.

The tension present for the entire dinner between the mother and daughter did not go unnoticed by anyone.

"Louisa walked in on her and Alpha Lancaster having sex, so he sent her to the cells," Marie slurs, and Lilith's eyes shoot open.

Zephyr coughs, choking on his drink slightly as he gapes at Marie.

"Walked in on what?" Lilith asks, wondering if she was going crazy or deaf.

Neither of the Addisons' could believe the words they had just heard.

"Sex. Avery and him." Marie repeats, rolling her eyes when she finishes.

"Oh," Lilith murmurs, sipping her drink and kicking Avery as hard as she can.

Avery lets out a hiss of pain when Lilith's foot connects with her shin, and she shoots her a dirty look.

"That was uncalled for," she whispers angrily, rubbing her poor leg.

"You didn't tell me that you and him had sex," Lilith fires back in a hushed tone.

Zephyr listens in, absolutely blown away by the revelation. He's so baffled that he has no words to add to the conversation.

"I was waiting until you got here," Avery mutters, and Lilith gives her a dig in the side.

"That could have been another month! What if I had died on the way here?! I would have died without knowing you two screwed!" Lilith complains, and Zephyr clears his throat.

"No mention of you and dying, please," he murmurs, kissing her hand gently.

"If it had been another month I obviously would have told you," Avery hisses, rolling her eyes.

"So because Louisa saw his - excuse me, Former Alpha and Luna - dick, he sent her to the cells?" Lilith asks the table, raising her eyebrows in confusion.

"Yup," Marie pops her lips, and Richard rolls his eyes.

"My middle child insulted her sister in the visiting Alpha's presence. She would not leave when asked, and so, she disobeyed direct orders and was just generally rude. She's in the cells for at least two weeks," Richard sighs, shooting his wife a look.

He knows that she has rose-tinted glasses on when it comes to Louisa, but it's getting ridiculous. That girl can do no wrong in his wife's opinion, but she's so much stricter on the other two.

Marie rolls her eyes this time, shaking her head.

"I know what I heard," she complains, and Richard stares at her.

"I don't think you do, sweetheart," he sighs, standing up and walking to behind Marie's chair.

"I think that it might be time for us to retire, unfortunately. I think my lovely mate has had too much to drink this evening, you'll have to excuse her," he announces, hauling his mate out of her seat and pulling her into his arms.