Part 28

The Connors pack is a very traditional one; few, if any, women hold important roles in this area, and that enrages Avery.

She has refused to speak with Alpha Connors, the new or old one, in the past based on her values, and nobody argued with her over it.

She never had a face to put to the former Alpha of this pack before, so at least something came out of that awkward encounter.

They arrive at the packhouse, where rooms have been prepared for them to stay in.

As soon as the door swings open, they are shown a woman who has her head down, staring at the ground as she greets them.

Even Roman looks horrified, as he stares at the former Alpha Connors.

The same woman, in a long, conservative black dress leads them up the stairs in utter silence, not even checking their names.

"Unfortunately, due to rumours that the Alpha Lancaster was coming with his mate, a single room was arranged for the two of you to share," the woman murmurs, "it will take us a while to organise a separate one, so we would appreciate your patience."

Avery raises a brow, and shakes her head, laying her hand gently on the woman's shoulder.

"Take your time, it's okay," she whispers to the lady, squeezing her shoulder gently as she breezes into the room with two of her bags.

Roman follows her in and closes the door behind him with a smirk as he approaches her.

He gets within three feet of her before she hears him, and she swings around and hits him in the throat.

He coughs and rubs his neck with an anguished look on his face, his eyes wide and watery.

"What is your interest in hurting me?" He gasps, shaking his head at her.

"I didn't know it was you. Besides, you have a conference to prepare for," she shrugs, digging through her bag to retrieve a long white dress and a sun hat with a wide brim.

She walks over to the adjoining bathroom after secretly pulling out some underwear, catching a glimpse of Roman when he pulls off his shirt, his back to her.

She looks at his tattoos for a minute, fascinated by the major one on his back that looks a bit like angel wings.

Avery quickly closes the door when she realises she's gawking, and then stares at herself in the mirror, letting out a growl of frustration before she strips out of her comfy clothes and quickly jumps into her dress.

Struggling to do up the zip at the back, she sighs and gives in after a minute and goes to the door, knocking before she emerges in case Roman is nude - not that she'd complain if he were.

"I need help doing up my dress," she grumbles, "please."

Roman strolls over, his slacks hung low on his hips and his hair messy - he looks absolutely edible to her.

He silently glides the zip up her back, running his fingers along her spine as he does.

A shiver runs through her body, and she feels his lips connect with her shoulder blade out of the blue, lightly pressing against her brand.

A stifled gasp escapes her lips, and she quickly hurries back into the bathroom, her body trembling at the touch.

What the fuck did he do that for? He totally ruined the moment, Sonya grunts, shaking out her coat.

Avery remains quiet, slipping her heels on and staring at her hair, silently deciding to braid it and add a crystal barrette that she remembers packing.