CHAPTER 17

THIRD PERSON POV

That night, Taehyung cried like never before. At least, Jimin had never seen him cry that much. But Taehyung still remembered how he cried almost the same way when Jungkook had announced that he would be getting married and he felt like the situation was getting repeated once again. Except it was as if someone had pressed on the fast forward button, making everything go faster than it had before.

Jimin consoled him, running his tiny little fingers through his best friend's brown locks as he whispered soothing words into his ear. When Taehyung finally calmed down after a long while of heart wrenching sobbing, Jimin asked him, "Tae, why are you crying like that? You were fine earlier. You knew he had gone with her, didn't you? So what happened all of a sudden?"

Taehyung still struggled to breathe properly. He took in deep shaky breaths, feeling his lungs and heart clenching almost. His whole chest area hurt from the intense crying. As if Jimin understood that, he began rubbing Taehyung's chest lightly and the feeling of pain diminished.

The younger sniffled a few times before finally speaking up. "I-it's my bir-birthday tod-day," he said in between hiccups. His voice shook but Jimin didn't understand why or where he was going with this.

"I know," he replied, "we all wished you at midnight before going to sleep."

Taehyung let out another sniffle. "A-all except- except Jungkook," he pointed out, his voice still awfully unstable.

"It's- it's okay, Tae," Jimin said in an attempt to comfort him. But he knew it was not. Jungkook was always more excited for his birthday than Taehyung himself. He could forget his own birthday but he never forgot Taehyung's. "We've all been busy lately. I'm sure he just forgot the date. You know it happens to all of us all the time."

"Y-you know, i-it's not the fir-first time it's happened," Taehyung said sadly.

"What are you on about? Jungkook always made sure to wish you first every-" Jimin started but then realisation struck him. Taehyung was talking about the future he came from. "Is- is this why you're so sad about it? The same thing happened before?" He asked softly.

The other responded with a nod. "And that time too, it was because he was busy spending time with her," he told Jimin who tightened his hold around Taehyung, knowing the latter needed it very much at the moment.

"You know what-what's worse?" Taehyung asked. Jimin hummed, knowing the younger wasn't expecting an answer from him.

"I- I thought he would remember when he would come back... but he didn't." Jimin could see tears welling up in Taehyung's eyes again but Taehyung wiped them away before they could fall.

"Jiminie, why does he love her so much? He's known her for such a short time yet he's completely forgotten about me even though we've known each other for so long," Taehyung said.

"It's not like that, Tae, you know it," Jimin assured.

Taehyung remained silent for a while before speaking again. "This is all useless. I'm losing him again, much faster this time. I should just find a way to go back to 2020. I'm only messing up things by staying here."

"Taehyung, we have no idea how this even happened. There's no guarantee that you can go back. And you're not losing him. Everytime you two get a little distant, he always comes back to you. It's been like that for 5 years already."

"Why does everything have to be this complicated, Jimin?" Taehyung asked as he buried his head in his hands, completely discarding the older's words.

"Listen, don't give up just yet. Don't be so disheartened. I promise you everything will be alright, you will be alright," Jimin said while patting Taehyung's back comfortingly.