《 Chapter 9: Friendship 》

I bit my quivering lips to avoid any sob that wanted to escape from my mouth. I could feel my eyes getting teary.

At that moment I was mad, not at him. But at myself, because I had these hopeless expectations that ended up hurting me.

I know he was just looking at her, its no big deal. But still, she was thinner, better, prettier.

Everything I am not.

I made a quick call to my dad to come to pick me up and texted my friends that I'm going back home since I don't feel really well.

That night, I'll never tell anyone how much I cried.

After 2 hours, I heard a knock on my door. I have calmed down and washed my face.

"Come in" I quietly said.
"Hey." Leah peeked into my room with a slight smile.
She shut the door and joined me on my bed, and we just sat there in comforting silence. After a while, I asked her, "so what brought you here?"
"The look you had on your face when you saw him looking at her. That's what brought me here." She sighed.

Silence followed. "You know you can tell me anything," Leah said. And for the first time that night, I smiled. "Did you see how she looked tonight? She's so pretty! I couldn't help comparing myself with her. And then he was also looking at her like that-" I said while fiddling with my fingers.

She cut me off, "Looking at her doesn't mean he likes her! And let's say he does. So what? Are you going to cry yourself to sleep like this? Years from today, he will be nothing but a high school memory. I'm sure it hurts a lot, but you can't just stay still and expect a miracle to happen. Also never again compare yourself with others, know your worth." She ended her little speech I will always remember with a gentle squeeze to my hand.

"I just stopped crying you know...", I said with glistening eyes, my tears threatening to fall anytime again.
She chuckled and hugged me. I hugged her back. "Thank you...I feel much better." I mumbled.

I would surely be a mess without my best friend.

Thanks for reading! ♡