|Chapter 19 ~ The Dream|

That night I dreamt, a very rare phenomenon. One that didn't occur easily for me. You see, dreams were rare events in our world. They were seen as both disasters and blessings. Happenings one never really wanted to judge, based on such a level of continuous uncertainty. 

Dreams were constantly changing, adapting and many could never hope to be interpreted - unless they were meant to.

I stood in the middle of a battlefield overshadowed by dark thunder clouds that made the air pulse with electricity. The disgusting smell of blood and gore clouded my nose and I gagged at the horrible sight before me. Bodies of fallen soldiers from both worlds littered the ground in their millions. Wings and arms were crushed and twisted together into odd positions beneath an ocean of discarded weaponry. The dead soaked in rivers of red and gold, streams that flowed past the many corpses to nowhere in particular. I spotted several war banners protruding from the dead soldiers as if they were beacons of death.

I took a step forward and heard the horrible crunch of bone shatter beneath my boot. I gulped and looked down.

The body of a female Lesphares stared back at me. Her lifeless blue eyes had lost all colour and emotion. The female's face was caked in golden blood and her mouth, frozen in horror and pain. My boot perched right on top of her broken hand - the joint bent in several unnatural positions already. I quickly removed my shoe and swirled around to estimate how far the dreadful sight would continue in the opposite direction.

My eyes widened. In the distance of the strange foggy land, massive war ships with great clouds of smoke billowing out of their metal skeletons slowly entered my vision. The smoke darkened the already clouded sky and created a picture of an absolute nightmare.

I was too devastated to do anything. I stared at the disaster around me until my eyes begun hurting from the amount of smoke that intoxicated the sky. Sweat soaked my hair and my legs suddenly felt weak with exhaustion. A shrill scream - the sound enough to shatter cities - pierced the sky and then everything turned red.

I shot up from my blankets and tried to fill my lungs with enough air to keep me from passing out. My wet hair clung to my scalp and the darkness of the closed curtains seemed to cave in and devour me. My raspy breaths were the only sounds that echoed across the dark spring room.

After a while I managed to calm my racing heart enough to stumbled to the closed curtains. I needed light. Any kind as long as it could rescue me from my petrified thoughts. My body shivered. I felt cold and warm simultaneously, feverish thanks to the horrors I had witnessed.

When I opened the satin, I suddenly forgot the awful nightmare that suffocated my mind and stared at the sight before me. The sky was dark, but not in a nightmarish kind of way. It was a relaxing blackness, embedded with thousands of blinking jewels that stretched as far as I could manage to see. It was almost the exact same scene as the ceiling of Angelus' throne room, but much more open. Two alien moons joined the many stars in the far distance. Their blue-green crescents bright and foreign against the heavenly background.

It was as if the whole world was enfolded by a dark blanket of night, sleeping in sheer peace beneath its comfortable darkness. A wind caressed my sweat-stained skin and relaxed my clenched fists - hands I didn't even realize were rigid with strain.

"Beautiful isn't it?"

I spun around in shock, almost jumping out of my skin when I noticed the dimly lit silhouette of -

- Of Angelus Duncan leaning against one of the pillars in the room.

The Lesphares seemed purely at ease as he stared at me, his gorgeous dark hair swaying lazily in the breeze and arms folded in front of his broad chest. His red eyes glowed like rubies in the dark room and almost seemed to burn holes through my suddenly very exposed body. Angelus wore the same mahogany armour as earlier today, but managed to look just as striking in the moonlit room as he did on his throne. He looked at me with remoteness that immediately made my cheeks warm, an immortal gaze that never revealed rushed.