|Chapter 31 ~ Accusations|

I could never fathom the reason why I both adored and utterly loathed the colour red.

The tint had a lot of significance, a shade I utterly fell dominate to merely because of its sheer beauty and strength. A hue I found each time I looked into Angelus Duncan's eyes. 

I stared down at Jacob. He was bent over like some butchered beast, his blood splattered on the floor like ink on a damned canvas. However much I loved the colour, it only seemed to cause me misery and pain as far as I went. The scene reminded me of Albert and the thought made my body still. The long forgotten memory I had hidden in the deepest corner of my heart, was again revisited and panic build in my veins. The more I delved, the more I seemed to float away from my consciousness.

I was suddenly somewhere very far away, looking at the whole scene from someone else's vantage point. I couldn't comprehend who I was or how long I felt like this, only that there was such pain, such longing  inside me. The feeling felt as if it could splinter me bit by bit, crushing every remaining piece of my entity until there was nothing left. I felt ancient, the one who witnessed the very birth of the realm as well as its people. The one who already knew of its future magnificence when the world was still only a spark in the cosmos. 

The beginning and the end of the universe, the very energy that kept everything alive but also threatened to destroy it all. I was everything and everyone. The one that all things emanated from.

Then I was suddenly back in my own body, the unbelievably powerful presence gone from my existence as if it was never there in the first place. Somehow I could still feel it in my body, swirling through my veins and taking up residence in-between my bones.

The realization that began to dawn on me was so utterly inconceivable, I only shrugged it off as far-fetched and focused my attention back on Jacob. My heart contracted when I heard the brokenness in his voice, the blood on his chipped lips as he spoke, the emptiness in his eyes-

"It wasn't me or any of us who caused this." He wheezed, a whimper of agreement from Lex causing Faîzal to only grow more furious.

"Do you know what kind of aftermath that demonic fire had on the people?! On my people?" He growled, voice so menacing I felt Christa flinch from next to me. Her steady eyes were wholly trained on Jacob since he entered.

"Three deaths, Alium. Three  innocent Lesphares that were only at the wrong place at the wrong time." The hall was deadly quiet. The air filled with energy, brimming vitality that bit at my skin like sand particles, floating around the expanse as if they were alive. Alive with fuming hatred and hot rage.

I inspected the ferocity in Faîzal's feral cold eyes. Something clicked into place as I examined their pure malice, a piece of a puzzle I previously did not possess. His outlook on the situation became clear and I suddenly realized what exactly went through Faîzal's head as if it was the most simplest thing in the entire world.

It was complete and utter desolation I recognized in that gaze. The Lepshares was suffering for his people's sake. Each death and cry for help, just another scar that lacerated his skin again and again. Another never ending responsibility that was solely his own to carry, to live with.

When I glanced at Angelus, I knew the Lesphares came to the exact same conclusion as I did. His eyes were dark with emotion as he looked at his comrade. Deep empathy radiated from the Defender and I suddenly felt  it. The horrible years of wars waged, the comrades killed off in battle like pawns and the strength that bound the two companions together - all in one observation. There was so much hidden backstory in that one gaze. So much hardship and sorrow.