vii. if there's something worse than prophecies, it's dreams

chapter seven

─── if there's something worse than prophecies, it's dreams

          ℑ don't know what I ate that night, but I was having weird dreams. Like, really weird dreams. First, I dreamt of wolves.

I was standing in a clearing in a large redwood forest, trees towering around me like a cage, too thick to really get through. In front of me were the ruins of a stone mansion, grey clouds blending into the ground fog around them. A pack of large wolves milled around me, brushing against my legs, snarling and baring their teeth as they pushed me towards the ruins.

I gulped, obliging as I didn't particularly feel like getting eaten today even if it was in dream form.

The ground squelched under my boots as I walked. Stone spires of chimneys, no longer attached to anything, rose up from the floor, meaning I had to watch my step. The house must've been enormous once, multi-storied with massive brick walls and a soaring gabled roof, but now nothing remained but its stone skeleton. I passed under a crumbling archway, coming out in a courtyard.

Before me was a drained reflecting pool. The bottom was filled with mist, as I struggled to tell how deep it was. A dirt path led all the way around, and the house's uneven walls rose on either side. Wolves paced under the archways of rough red volcanic stone.

At the far end of the pool sat a giant she-wolf, far taller than me. Her eyes glowed silver in the fog, and her coat was the same colour as the rocks—warm chocolaty red.

"I know this place," I stated.

The wolf regarded me. She didn't exactly speak, but I could understand her. The movements of her ears and whiskers, the flash of her eyes, the way she curled her lips—all of these were part of her language.

Of course, the she-wolf said. You began your journey here as a pup. Now you must find your way back. A new quest, a new start.

"That isn't fair," I shook my head, but the she-wolf just shrugged. They were trying to make me, an amnesiac, find my way back to a place that I didn't remember.

Wolves didn't feel sympathy. They never expected fairness. The wolf said: Conquer or die. This is always our way.

I wanted to protest that I couldn't conquer if I didn't know who I was, or where I was supposed to go. But I knew this wolf. Her name was simply Lupa, the Mother Wolf, the greatest of her kind. Long ago she'd found me in this place, protected me, nurtured me, chosen me, but if I showed weakness, she would tear me to shreds. Rather than being her pup, I would become her dinner. In the wolf pack, weakness was not an option.