coffee nights .15

ricky plugged his earbuds into his ears as he worked on his homework. the boy missed so much school to the point where he was super behind. he tried his best to distract himself and focus on his homework to try and forget what just happened with his dad. ricky tucked his head into hoodie and tried his best to try and hide his face.

nini walked into the bakery and instantly saw ricky sitting in the corner booth. the girl froze in her place and quickly greeted her moms, before bolting up the stairs. nini ran into her room and quickly shut the door as she paced back and forth in her room.

"oh my god.. he's here," nini said to herself, "why is he here? does he wanna talk?"

"no nini! he fucking hates you remember," nini said to herself before she groaned, "he's probably here like every other customer - coffee and homework." the girl fell down on her bed and quickly pulled out her phone to text her friends.

" the girl fell down on her bed and quickly pulled out her phone to text her friends

as nini hid in her room, ricky had no clue she came home. the boy was so focused on his homework that he wasn't really aware of what was going on. ricky finally caught up on all of his late work and let out a sigh of relief. he took his earbuds out of his ears and got up to order some food and a drink.

ricky scanned all the options and saw a birthday cupcake in the glass case. ricky felt his heartbreak and tried to ignore his feelings. the boy forced a smile on his face and got ready to order, "uhh hii.. can i just got vanilla latte and uh..."

ricky couldn't stop himself from looking at the birthday cupcake as he lost his train of thought, "uh sorry.. uhm.. can i get one birthday cupcake as well?"

"sure!" mama c exclaimed with a smile on her face. she finally looked up from there register and saw ricky's face, "oh my god honey - are you okay?!"

ricky's eyes widened once he finally remembered the cuts on his face, "oh uh yeah! those are from basketball!" ricky quickly said with an awkward chuckle.

"are you sure..?"

"yeah yeah," ricky said with a forced smile, "my teammate ej has some long nails."

"uhm okay hun," mama c said once she realized ricky didn't wanna talk about it anymore, "is it your birthday today?"

"oh uh.. no," ricky awkwardly said. carol nodded her head and rang up the total.

"uh.. $5.78!" she exclaimed with a smile on her face. ricky handed her the money and made his way back to his seat as he waited for her order to be done. the boy opened up snapchat on his phone and looked at the cuts all over his face. he felt himself start to cry so he quickly put his phone away before anything else could happen.

"here is your cupcake and latte honey," carol said as she placed ricky's order on his table. ricky happily smiled and thanked her. the boy stared at the cupcake on the table and had the same sunken sad feeling in his chest. he didn't know what it was about the cupcake that made him feel sad or upset, but it just did.