c h a p t e r XIV

THEY WERE WALKING OUT of the cafeteria, Amaya and Aviva talking together and Julian and Enzo arguing, leaving her and Maddox walking side by side

"It's funny, when I saw Adrian, he was limping," Sapphire said hiding her smile.

"Oh, was he?" Maddox replied looking straight ahead.

"Mmhmm he was," she answered keeping her gaze on him until he cracked.

"Ok it was my fault, I'm sorry, I know you didn't want me to get involved," he apologized finally looking at her.

"Why did you do it?" She asked, her heartbeat getting a little faster as she waited for his answer.

"Because we're friends, I think?" He said or more asked.

"Friends," she repeated not able to stop the sting of disappointment in her heart.

"Friends," he replied quietly, more to himself.

Friends, that's good right?

Was that what she wanted? To be friends with him? Or was she secretly hoping for more.

She had grown fond of the boy next to her in the last few days, not even with Genesis had she gotten close so fast, but friends were better than nothing.

They all continued walking until they reached Amaya's room. Amaya was sitting on her bed next to Julian, Enzo and Sapphire on the ground, Aviva next to her and Maddox on the small couch.

"So who's fighting tonight Maddox?" Amaya asked.

Maddox thought for a second, "The usual guys, Julian, Enzo, Sapphire and the rest of the new people."

"Who am I fighting?" Sapphire asked grinning.

"The third best fighter in section three, Julian," Maddox answered.

She frowned, "Why not the best?"

"We know you're good but not exactly how good so fighting Julian'll give us an idea," Enzo answered.

"Don't worry, I'll go easy on you," Julian added smiling.

She chuckled, "Oh I'm not worried about me."

"Oh, so what do you say we test that in a sparring session?" Julian proposed.

She frowned, "Are you sure? I don't want you to be tired out before the fight."