Chapter 22

"I can't believe you're sitting here comfortably in my car after throwing me to the wolves. That too, with such a happy expression that it's quite scary looking at you now." Adrian complained, getting into the driver's seat.

"Oh, I am happy. It's not every day that you see the big bad CEO looking think of it, I should've made a video. Or at least taken a photo of your expression. It would have made a funny meme that would keep the social media spiralling down."

He rolled his eyes, buckling his seatbelt and started driving. I looked back to see a few paps waving while a few had a dazed look in their faces, which, I assumed was due to Adrian. I snorted at that. The guy could leave the whole world swooning at his feet.

"I didn't know you could handle the paps that well." Adrian commented, glancing at me for a second before focusing on the road. I shrugged. "You don't know a lot about me."

He stopped at the red light and looked at me with indecipherable eyes for a few seconds too long, as if searching my eyes for something. It made me a little nervous for some reason, as if he caught me on some lie. I mentally shook that thought away. Shut up, brain.

He suddenly blinked and shook his head. When he looked back at me again, his eyes had lost all the seriousness and had a hint of playfulness instead.

I watched warily as he leaned over to me and looked straight into my eyes with a mysterious smile.  "Why don't you tell me, then?" He whispered close to my ears, making me feel a few degrees cold and a few degrees hot at the same time. With that, he winked and went back to his position as the light turned green.

"Huh?" I mumbled stupidly and heard his deep chuckle. It took a few seconds for my stupid brain to keep up with his words, but my mouth still seemed to be using its own, more stupid brain. "What?" My stupid mouth uttered again with its stupid brain.

He smirked and raised his eyebrows at me before focusing back on the road. "I mean, why don't you tell me about yourself? We are, pretty good friends, after all." He smugly repeated my words from earlier.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Who said we're friends? I have a very selective collection of friends, and they aren't there by stating that we are. If I remember correctly, you still have much to do to get yourself in that position. I would just give up that stupid notion if I were you." I looked out of my window, convincing myself that it would be better if he just gave up that stupid thought.

It was silent for a while until the car came to a stop at the red light again. Adrian finally spoke, not once removing his eyes from me. I was looking sideways but I could literally feel his gaze burning at the side if my head. 

"I agree that I might not know much about you, but from what I know, one thing I can say with confidence is that Evelyn White doesn't give up easily, no matter what the challenge is. Why would you expect me to believe that crap? As for me, I'd be happy to let you know that I'm far more into a challenge than you, and I don't give up either, ever. But I'll be honest with you. This is not a challenge for me. I genuinely want to be your friend and make up for every bullshit I gave you that day."

I blinked. Once. Twice. And then further three more times like some battery-operated creepy barbie toy in a kids' store. I turned to find him looking at me with that intense look that he had before. There was an awkward silence as we both looked at each other until a honk from behind broke whatever intense spell that was present in the car. He cleared his throat and started driving as the lights turned green, while I tried to ignore that weird feeling in my stomach.