Fourteen: Frybread

I haven't listened to Em about staying in La Push. The only time I've went was when we ate dinner with Sam and Emily at the Black house. Jake and Bella went to talk in his garage and I stayed in the kitchen. I went to go put Charlie and I's plates in the sink. Sam followed behind me.

"You should," He started. "You should come spend the day with Emily tomorrow. I'm sure she would love to have you." I just nod my head. I'm not sure if I know Emily well enough to bother her like that.

I don't know what's wrong with Jake. He won't talk to me, or even look at me. I don't know what I did to piss him off, maybe he didn't want me to know. Maybe he's still mad at me for going off on him Friday night. The last one must be it, but I forgive him for leaving her like that because I didn't fully understand the situation. Forgiveness has been coming to me easier since I've lived with Charlie.

Charlie can forgive anyone in a heartbeat. He forgives Billy a little too easily I think. Billy basically called Bella a whore and here Charlie is eating dinner right next to him and yelling at the tv together.

I woke up late the next day. I slept so well that night I didn't dream. I decided to take Sam's advice and visit Emily at her house. I remembered the dirt road of where she lived and pulled up to her house. I parked next to Bella's jalopy and got out.

I entered the house without knocking and Bella was sitting at the kitchen table, watching Emily scrub the spotless floor. Emily is a very cheerful and talkative person. She pays more attention to me than Bella even though I just foot here. Bella soon grew bored of Emily's cheerfulness and walked outside towards the beach.

"Now that Bella's gone." Emily says. "You can help me with dinner. We're making frybread and corn soup." She claps her hands together and directs me to finding ingredients while she grabs supplies. "Flour, baking soda, canola oil, salt, and sugar." She orders. I nod my head and dig through the cabinet to find all the ingredients. She sets everything on the table and I follow after her. She places a huge skillet on the stove and fills it to the top with the gallon of canola oil. "Put all the flour inside the mixing bowl." She instructs. I nod my head, knowing that the boys eat a lot. The mixing bowl she has can easily fit 10 lbs of flour inside. I pour the bag of four in and wait for further instructions. "Pour some baking soda in." She says.

"How much?" I ask and she laughs. "A teaspoon? A tablespoon?" This makes her laugh even harder.

"About half a handful." She says. I nod my head and shake half a handful of baking power into my hand.

"No pour in about a handful of sugar." She instructs and I use the spoon to pour the sugar into the dry mix. "Now pour a little bit of salt in." While I pour the salt in she's filling a huge pot full of water. She set the pot on the stove and then fills a pitcher up with hot water. "Oh, mix it up!" She says and I look for a whisk in the drawers. I find one an bring it back to the bowl to mix the dry ingredients together. Emily starts giggling as she pulls meat from the fridge. "With your hands silly." She says.

"Oh-okay." I stutter and stick my hands into the cool flower. As I mix I can feel the sugar and salt particles inside of the flour. It's like feeling sand inside of dirt. I wipe my hands off with a towel and wait for Emily to tell me what to do. Emily gets a huge cutting board and two knives out and sets them in the table by the pitcher of water. She dips her finger into the flour and tastes it. "Perfect." She compliments.

"What now?" I ask. She grabs the pitcher of hot water and pours most of it into the mix.

"Stir it with your hands." I mentally groans at the fact that I had to stick my hands in the batter. I stuck my hands in and it felt warm and gooey. The more I mixed the more it got harder and harder to mix. The bowl started to lift off the table and slam back on. My shoulders and arms started getting tired before she pours more water in and it gets easier to knead. "Grab some and lift up." She commands while making the motion. I do as she says. The flour stuck to my hands and the mix before receding to either one. Emily scoots me out of the way and tells me to wash my hands before taking over the bowl. When I get done washing my hands she's sprinkling water on the top of the flour, then she covers it with a cloth.

"While we're waiting for that to rise where going to cut this meat into inch by inch squares." She explains. I grab myself a knife and a slab of meat and start cutting. We put the squares of meat into a bowl and Emily pours them into the huge pot on the stove, along with four bags of dried corn.

"So what you're going to do is.." She instructs. The dough is on the table out of the bowl, sitting on flour so it doesn't stick to the table. She grabs the edge of the dough and pinches it off into a perfect circle and set it onto the cooking sheet that's also covered in flour. It takes me a couple of tries, but I eventually pinch it off into a perfect sphere and set it beside the other one. As I make these, Emily is frying them into the oil. When she's done frying one of the dough, she sets it inside of a newspaper lined small white laundry basket.

"My eyes are starting to sting." Emily complains. "I need you to turn the bread." I nod my head and she instructs me on how to turn it. Emily sets each perfectly circled dough into the skillet and I flip the piece when it turns a golden colour.

"Ow!" I exclaim when the grease pops my hand, it reminded me of cooking bacon the way the dough fries in the grease. We make enough bread to fill up two baskets of bread. Then we wait and talk while the soup is cooking.

We talk about basketball and she tells me about how great La Push school is

We talk about basketball and she tells me about how great La Push school is. She also talks about how good their basketball teams have been for the past couple of years. She says that they never get fair calls during basketball because they're native and a lot of refs are biased. Then she talks about Sam. I love the way her entire face changes when she talks about him, the mere mention of his name brightens her smile. Watching her talk about him makes me smile. I've always wished to be in love like that, the live that only exists in movies. But watching Emily and Sam.... I know it's real.

"Paul has a lot of anger issues and he can be triggered easily." Emily says. "But he just needs the right person so even him out."

"Why are you telling me with?" I ask. She doesn't get any words out before Sam and the boys walk in. Sam goes right towards Emily and they embrace. Em dashes towards me and lifts me up into the air and spins me around and I hear a huff from one of the boys. I stand there leaning on Em before turning abound when I feel a pair of eyes on me. Paul is staring at me intensely and I pierce my lips together before turning back around to lean on Em.

"Dinners done." Emily says and Em rushes to the bowls and grabs the biggest one before pouring soup into it and grabbing three breads out of one of the baskets. I grab myself some soup and a frybread out of the basket and sit next to me.

"Slow down, you're gonna choke." I tell Em as he inhales his food.

"Sick." Jared laughs and Emily slaps him in the back of the head.

"We don't talk like that at the diner table Jared." Emily scolds and Jake walks through the door and makes himself a plate. He stands at the edge of the dinner table and huffs as he realizes the only chair left is the one between Paul and I. He gulfs down his food and doesn't talk to anyone before rushing out of the house.

"Jake." I call but he doesn't look back at me as he slams the front door. "What's wrong with him?" I quietly ask Em. He shakes his head.

"Don't worry about it." He shrugs and continues eating.

I've decided to add some cultural accurate elements to my book, hope you like it. This also might be a little more based off the books than the movies:)