Chapter Fourteen: Girl Meets An Unexpected Guest.

Maya's POV:

I wish I can say that for the rest of the night I stayed in the arms of the one I feel most secure and comfortable with, but if I did that would have been a lie. With every fiber of my being I wish I can say that once I left Lucas' arms that everything went back to normal. That Riley came to her senses and forgave Lucas and I, and that James left and was never to be seen again. But that reality would have been too good to be true. I know better than to fill my mind with unachievable expectancies that will only grant me deeper disappointment when they are never going to be met.

The silence between Lucas and I is one full of tension. I don't think either of us knows what to say or do next.

"Lucas... I'm so sorry for everything. It's all my fault." My voice comes out so unfamiliarly soft and full of regret and guilt.

Huckleberry's reaction was one I was never anticipating. Even after Riley had left, his behavior was deemed as unlike him, Lucas has become very distant and too himself. I would have expected him to blow up and to be upset but now he's just scarily silent. If I'm being honest it's pretty unsettling.

Without even acknowledging what I told him, Lucas walks by me in a rush and goes to the injured James trying his best to stand up from the ground. Almost immediately I move to follow Lucas in his pursuit, not entirely sure what it is he plans to do next.

He reaches down and grabs a hold of James' collar and pulls him up right, so their faces are only inches apart.

"If you ever go near Maya again, I'll make sure you don't get up next time." Lucas snarls at James as he proceeds to give me a look of disgust.

"You better hope to God I never see you again because if I do-"

"You'll what?" James taunts with a lazy grin appearing on his lips. Does he really think he's in the position to provoke Lucas right now?

"Lucas please let's just leave." I know things are beginning to escalate by the way Huckleberry is glaring at James with his jaw clenched. I don't want a round two between the both of them.

I step closer to Lucas and grab a hold of his arm, encouraging him to let James out of his grip. He looks over at me doubtfully but I return his look of concern with a reassuring nod. I can see the hesitation in his eyes as Lucas let's James out of his hold, almost immediately he steps in front of me to further protect me from James.

"If I ever see you again I won't hesitate to get a restraining order against you." And with that I take Lucas's wrist and drag him out of the backyard and away from James.

"Maya where do you think you're going?" He questions but I ignore him and walk faster to the front of the home, making sure to tighten my grip so he doesn't wiggle free.

Once we make it to the front, I let him go and I can see the look of relief take over his features as I stop dragging him away from the yard.

"What did you mean when you said the next time you see him, you'll get a restraining order?" He inquired and I have a feeling we are about to start one of our famous banter sessions.

"I meant exactly what I said Ranger Rick." Lucas looks at me completely unimpressed by my lack of severity when it comes to this topic.