Chapter 3.

Nora's POV

Enzo led me down the stairs with my hand in his and sat me down at one of the barstools in his kitchen. He pulled out plates and sandwich fixings and began making us a simple dinner. He even went as far to cut my sandwich in half diagonally. We ate in a heavy silence. What do you say to someone who saved your life? The silence was broken by barking coming from the backdoor.

"Oh, I forgot all about Tank." Enzo muttered to himself.

"Tank?" I asked hesitantly, but my questioned was answered when a huge German Shepard came bounding into the kitchen. I drew my knees up to my chest in an attempt to stay out of his reach, but the dog was big enough to sniff at my toes without even stretching himself. Lorenzo walked around the counter, back to his sandwich, and chuckled at my apprehension to his dog.

"It's alright sweetheart. He's a good boy and he'd never hurt you." Enzo pointed towards the dog with his chin, encouraging me to interact with him. Slowly I reached my hand down for Tank to sniff, which he licked happily. I couldn't help but let out a little giggle. I looked up at Lorenzo who was already looking at me. I focused my attention back on Tank in an attempt to hide the blush spreading across my face. I had to admit, this dog was very handsome, much like his owner. I hopped down off the barstool and plopped myself down on the floor to give him some proper attention. He rolled over and exposed his belly to me immediately with his tongue lolling out to the side. I obliged and gave him belly rubs enthusiastically.

I felt so comfortable in this home; much more than my uncle's home, even before he began selling me. Uncle's home was cold and I was always walking on eggshells around him. I was always worried I was going to do something that would trigger his anger. Where am I going to go when Mr. Enzo gets tired of me? I don't have anyone else. Maybe he'll let me stay here until I can find a job. I don't have any experience or skills in anything. Who would hire me? I'm useless. Hopelessness began fogging up my brain and my belly rubs became slower until they stopped completely. Tank rolled back over and nudge my hand with his nose bring me back to reality.

"What's wrong baby?" Enzo asked, joining me on the floor. This man is too perceptive for my own good. His body radiated warmth next to me. He still made me horribly nervous, but I had to resist the urge to lean into him.

"I-I was just thinking about where I could go." I didn't look away from Tank while I said this. I began petting the dog again just so I would have something to do with my hands.

"What do you mean sweetheart? Why do you have to go anywhere?" he asked.

"Well, I can't stay here forever. I'm sure you'd like your house back. You don't need me here getting in your way." I explained, sneaking a peek up at him. Hopefully he would give me some time to figure out other arrangements.

"I didn't bring you here just to kick you out immediately." He began, his brows furrowing. "I wanted to bring you somewhere where you could be safe and taken care of."

"But I'm not supposed to be a bother." I mumbled, and as if he could sense the sadness in my voice, Tank pushed himself further into my lap. I'd spent my whole life being a bother and I already owed him so much.

"You're not a bother to me or Tank," Enzo said matter-of-factly. "As long as you want to, you're going to stay here and that's final baby girl."

"But I should at least work or something to pay you- "

"You don't owe me anything, and I don't want to hear another word about it. Do I make myself clear?" Though his words were stern, his tone was warm, and pacified my worries marginally.