chapter five

"Nanny, am I doing it right?" Grant asked after finishing the word problem that Tyra gave him

Tyra looked at Grant's paper and studied his work. "Hmm," She said and tapped her chin. "I think that you're doing an amazing job!" She cheered, grabbed her stickers book, and placed a yellow star on Grant's hand. "You're such an excellent student, Grant!" She encouraged the shy young boy.

Grant blushed and gazed at the star on his hand with joy. "Thank you, Nanny! You're so much nicer than the mean ladies," He said and kissed her cheek.

Tyra put away her sticker book and leaned closely to Grant. "Sweetheart, did your other teachers hurt you?" She asked with deep concern in her heart. Grant was the sweetest boy she knew.

Grant looked away from his sticker and shook his head. "No, Nanny. They say mean things to me and make me cry," He admitted and placed his thumb in his mouth.

Tyra's heart dropped, but she didn't want Grant to feel nervous, so she gave him another sticker. "Well, cheers to never having a mean teacher again!" She exclaimed, and Grant popped his thumb out of his mouth and threw his hands in the air.

"Yay! But remember, my daddy said he will teach me if you're mean," Grant casually reminded his Nanny and went back to his work.

Tyra laughed and grabbed her phone. Her eyes widened once she looked at the time. She was late picking Gianna up. "Oh no," She whispered. "Grant, we need to leave and get your sister," She said frantically and walked to the kitchen to grab her keys.

"Grant, buddy, you can finish this up tomorrow," She said to the boy and grabbed his hand. "I have to call Mr. Watts and tell him tha-"

The front door opened and revealed Mr. Watts with Gianna in his arms and two bags from McDonald's.

"Hi, Tyra," Mr. Watts nodded and walked into the living room.

Gianna jumped down from her father's arms and rushed to Grant. "Daddy picked me up from school today! It was amazing," She gushed to her little brother and hugged him tightly.

Grant relaxed in his older sister's arms and pressed a huge kiss onto her cheek. "Daddy used to pick me up!" He said with the same amount of excitement.

Once the siblings released each other, Grant ran into his daddy's arms and held him. "Oh, daddy! You came home soon!" He shouted happily.

Mr. Watts swung his son around and handed him the McDonald's bag. "Yes, I did, and I brought you something special!" He said, and Grant ran to the dining room with the bag.

Once the kids were gone, Mr. Watts looked at Tyra and just stared for a moment. He did that a lot.

It didn't make her uncomfortable. It just made her curious. She wondered why he stared at her, but he was probably just deep in thought, and she was just a wall-like figure to stare at.