The invite

The invitation was staring Cecily in the face. Another reminder that it had been fifty years since she has seen her adoptive family. Edward was getting married. Something she had believed was impossible.

Who is this Isabella? More importantly WHAT was she? Edward had always been careless, but he wouldn't be careless enough to marry a human right

Who is this Isabella? More importantly WHAT was she? Edward had always been careless, but he wouldn't be careless enough to marry a human right. The car smelled of human. She took a deep breath. There is an easy way to find out she thought. Walking over to the house phone- the only modern thing in the house- she dialed Edwards's number.

It rang once.
Twice.
Thrice. She didn't think he would answer when a female voice answered the phone.

"Hello?" The voice asked, out of breath. Defiantly a human.

"Hello, is Edward around?" Her voice was low and soft. Welcoming. Then she heard Edwards voice in the background. Then the female voice was gone.

"Who is this?" He asked his voice harsh.

"Nice to hear from you too Eddie. Only been fifty years. Cecily scoffed. Rude bastard.

"Cecily." His voice was happy. "Haven't heard from you for a while."

"I've been busy." She glanced at her sleeping younger siblings. None of the family knew about them. They were scared of her, and she has been around them forever. Three more half-demons? No way.

"I assume you got the invitation."

"I did, but mind telling me why it reaks of humans." She held up the document in question, sniffing it. Humans. The smoke-like aroma wafting from it.

"Bella is human."
The fire sparked her fingertips incinerating the invite.

"So are we all just avoiding the rules now? Our safety?" She snapped at her younger brother.

"Your safe Cecily. Buried somewhere far from here."

"That is where you are wrong Edward. The Volturi know nothing of me. You will have a chance of mercy because you're a vampire. I WILL NOT."
She lowered her voice as her sister stirred.
"They will kill me." And then she added silently.

"The Volturi know nothing of you Cec. You don't appear in our memories you know this." Cecily relaxed a little. For once thanking her unnatural blood.

"Very well Edward." With that, she hung up.