Chapter 17 - Let The Chips Fall Where They May

I pull up to my parent's house; Daddy, Momma, and Benny are out around the pool. I get out and lead everyone to the backyard. "Hey, there's the crew! Come join us!" Daddy says as he notices us approaching. Daddy gets up and comes over to John Luke. "Hey Buddy, good to see you, son. You are all grown up." He says as he pats John Luke on the back.

I notice John Luke begin to tense up. "Thank you." He says calmly.

I walk over and grab his arm; Daddy looks at me curiously as I do. Momma approaches John Luke. "Hey, handsome." She says as she reaches up and kisses his cheek, and gives him a big hug.

I can feel John Luke relax when Momma is near him. He embraces her. "How are you, Mimi?"

"I'm great, sweetheart; how are you?" She asks, patting his arm.

"I'm good now. Good to be home."

She smiles at him and reaches up to gently pinch his cheek.

"Look, we have to talk," Brie says with her hands on her hips. Seth comes up behind her and places his hand on her shoulder.

"Okay, come hang out," Daddy says. We all walk over towards the pool. "Where's Papaw's princess?" he asks as he leads us.

"She's with Harper," I respond.

"Why didn't you guys bring your swimsuit?" Momma asks curiously.

We all look at each other awkwardly.

"Daddy, I need to ask you something?" I ask hesitantly.

"Okay, what is it?"

Realizing I'm holding my breath in, I exhale audibly, "John Luke said he wrote me letters every week for a year, but I never got them. Why not?"

Daddy's face drops, "Shit, I knew this would come up now that he's home."

John Luke glares at him and crosses his arms. Brie and Seth walk over to stand next to John Luke.

"Look, I made a mistake. I'm sorry, guys, I didn't want Georgia to get distracted from her studies. He was obviously on the wrong path before he left, and I didn't want it to rub off on her any more than it had. I mean, she got pregnant by some random guy at a party, for Christ's sake! That was completely out of character for her to do. She was getting out of control and rebellious and throwing temper tantrums. I was nervous she was going to go down the same path. I had to protect my daughter from the path you were taking, son. I didn't want that for her. I'm sorry. Now, Seth, I know you are pissed off about what I did because I had contact information for him on the letters. I'm sorry, man, truly I am. I made a mistake." Daddy says apologetically.

John Luke sneers at him. "Georgia didn't get pregnant by some random guy at a party, Dylan."

"Yes, she did. She told me herself." Daddy insists.

"No, she didn't. She is John Luke's baby, you big asshole!" Brie blurts out.

Daddy looks at me in complete shock. "Is this true?"

I nod. "Yes, Scarlett is John Luke's."

"Oh Christ, Georgia! Why didn't you tell me this?" Daddy yells.

"I knew you'd get mad! I didn't want you to get mad at John Luke! I'm sorry. I did it to protect him." I say tearfully.

He looks at me and then looks at John Luke. Momma comes over and grabs Daddy's arm. "I can't believe this! Do you honestly think that telling me that some random guy knocked you up at a party is better than telling me that John Luke knocked you up? Despite him being on drugs, Scarlett had a fucking Father this whole time! Have you lost your mind Georgia? Fuck!" Daddy cries out, putting his face in his hands. He then walks away and puts his hands up in the air in anger, and walks back in my direction. His face is red; I can tell he's pissed, so I back away.